• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Currently a middle school student. Is this a good degree combination to land a quant job?

I am 13 and I am planning to become a work in the finance industry, particularly as a quant trader or researcher.
I have already started learning SQL and Python, and I am wondering if this is a good combination.

B.S in Physics and Statistics (Double Major)
+
PhD in Physics / M.S in Applied Statistics

(For the second options, please tell me which one is worth doing. I have to go for mandatory army service at 18 for TWO years. So note that I will only be 20 when applying to college)
THANKS!

So... you are essentially planning 11 to potentially 16 years ahead of your life having lived through the same. Not to be sarcastic, but things can change in that span of time. While it's good to have a goal, don't miss the forest for the trees. I've known a lot of good researchers and PMs who were physicists but they were really good physicists before ever deciding to do quant.

Now as for actual advice since you are currently determined on this path (again, none of these are meant to be sarcastic, just don't want to lowball you on the kind of competition that you'll be facing):
1. Math olympiad. How close can you get to at least a medal at the national level in the next 5 years? This is still the easiest way to catch anyone's attention, and one of the most relevant ways to get into a target school. Since you mentioned physics, physics olympiad can also be helpful, but not nearly as much.
2. Plan not to do a masters. Especially a separate MS in stats. It's a very broad (i.e. unfocused) master's degree. Since you are planning for it so early then try to take the relevant graduate level classes while you are in undergrad or fulfill the requirements for an accelerated MS during the 4 years.
3. For quant research, a background in physics is nice imo. The experimental aspect trains your sound thinking ability, the theoretical aspect gives you the necessary math background, and the computational aspects makes you a better programmer. But it begs the question that if you want to be a quant why not take the more straightforward approach and do stats/cs/math? Doing a BS and potentially a PhD in physics sounds a bit roundabout.

I'm going to bookmark this for later to see how well this ages...

please tell me this isn't one of those "primary school trying to break into investment banking" posts on WSO...
Hello. First of all, I am not in primary school. Secondly, I am just trying to understand how to become a quant trader when I am older. I am motivated to become one. Don't judge someone by his/her age. My IQ is 135. I am a mensa member. Thannks!

Back