• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Dark Secrets of 'Prestigious' Programs: Caveat Emptor

I was just arguing for free speech and skepticism.
Let's stop right here. The 1st Amendment does not apply to privately owned property such as this forum. You are also bound by its Terms of Services.
I don't like censoring as much as the next guy but don't go around saying you can post whatever you want in the name of "free speech".
And further to that free speech is fine but his claims are so vague, when does speech become incomprehensible babble? This is why people become concerned that it may be invalid.
It's not even about the claims which we don't know yet. It's how one conducts a criticism. As I pointed out above, once you proceed on the wrong path, it's impossible to establish credibility. When OP starts deflecting questions without ever showing a piece of material to back his claims, it begins to sound a lot like troll.

For the record, I don't know which program(s) the OP hinted at. I don't know the OP's affiliation with such institutions nor I given any data when I asked. It's up to OP to decide how seriously he wants to help the community at large.
The protocol of the process was explained above.

Let's stop right here. The 1st Amendment does not apply to privately owned property such as this forum. You are also bound by its Terms of Services.
I don't like censoring as much as the next guy but don't go around saying you can post whatever you want in the name of "free speech".

That only applies to harassment cases, which this isn't. Users still reserve the right to anonymity.

Since when is speaking about free speech a violation of any Terms of Service of any forum?

sprinkles,

while it isn't necessarily considered trolling, per se, threadjacking is also highly frowned upon. :(

From http://www.ams.sunysb.edu/graduate/qf/QF-FAQ.html
What degrees are offerred by the program?

The Department of Applied Mathematics and Statisitics offers B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees as well as Advanced Graduate Certificates in various fields. It is important to note that, by design, the various programs in the Department exist as tracks within the Department and not as separate degree programs. Upon successful completion you will be awarded a degree in Applied Mathematics and Statistics.

That's a pretty weird question/answer.

sprinkles,

while it isn't necessarily considered trolling, per se, threadjacking is also highly frowned upon. :(

sprinkles: So I take it that you're not "threadjacking" by saying this? ;)

mfegrad: "well, the real thread here is the one where we all call this guy a troll, so no."

sprinkles: Oh, I see. Sorry, I didn't catch that part the first time around. :(

In conclusion: Stony Brook has a new program, and needs to get it more organized. Ok, fine. Separately, some 'stars' burned out. Happens all the time. Doesn't matter what program you come from or with what company you end up. So, 'whatever' and 'who cares'.

...and you're at it again. cute, though.

(to put it clearly: the thread wasn't calling the original poster a troll; it was trying to elicit information from him/her and/or calling him/her out for being overly ambiguous. you then got on a righteous kick about freedom of speech. did you drag others into it? sure. but. you. kept. at. it. and even your last response here shows that you either have to get the last word in or you have trouble with stopping the beating of a dead horse, neither of which are commendable)

yes. this was off-topic, so you can save your breath. think of it as an internet PSA, though.

<cue music> the more you know...

It's utterly pointless to continue arguing with people who just don't get it. Bye Bye.

...and you're at it again. cute, though.

(to put it clearly: the thread wasn't calling the original poster a troll; it was trying to elicit information from him/her and/or calling him/her out for being overly ambiguous. you then got on a righteous kick about freedom of speech. did you drag others into it? sure. but. you. kept. at. it. and even your last response here shows that you either have to get the last word in or you have trouble with stopping the beating of a dead horse, neither of which are commendable)

yes. this was off-topic, so you can save your breath. think of it as an internet PSA, though.

Excuse me Andy and co., but allow me to provide the musical accompaniment to this thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsNr5mCeWYA

You are a humble late 20s-year old....humble background, average intelligence, you worked hard in life so far, and you have achieved enough to have even your girlfriend's mother respect you. No one ever opened doors for you in life. You know deep down that only your Mother loves you.

But you have dreams. You go to bed, you close your eyes and you can see it all. The Manhattan skyscrapers. Computers algorithmizing, traders franatically waving arms, oil prices being determined, the Greek credit rating being downgraded, maybe even the Greek islands being priced...

You are of humble background, but this vision is of America. In America, you can quit the sphere you are born in. You can become part of the world you want.

You discover Quantnet. A community of seekers like yourself. Seeking moral support you PM the big names here. Names like Dominic Connor. The ones who you secretly hope will say: "Yes, you! You! Little You from some God-forsaken Hell hole...You are perfect to be the next....nay, to be greater than, Warren Buffett! The MFE is perfect for you! It's even better than bribing St. Peter---the MFE will smash open the gates to Paradise! ".

But you get no reply for your PMs!

But you are undeterred. You have no clue how the world works, but you think that because you can integrate anything, you can make a mark on Wall Street. You believe your passport to your dream is an MFE! So you apply, you pray nightly to your false god in your humble abode. You work your humble job, saving up every penny you can. Even your Mother pitches in to help you with that mind-boggling proof of income you must demonstrate for your US visa. You get your US visa. Your ticket to Paradise...When you Mother gives you the little she has saved up, even your newly-trained-to-be-as-hard-as-Patrick-Bateman's heart melts, and a single tear wells up in your eyes....

When you have done all this....if there any justice at all in this world....do you not have a right to know what the fuck these programs are really about?

Through reviews, through anonymous posts, through raving mystics, through Wall Street executives....somebody guarantee you your dream after you have done your MFE!

If you know anything...speak up! Speak up! Please.....please, speak up!

yes, inviting "raving mystics" to "speak up" is the way to find objective information about something... *rolls eyes*

If you know anything...speak up! Speak up! Please.....please, speak up!
First of all, you may be in the wrong line of business. Maybe seek a career in music, poetry or fictional writing?
Second of all, you make the classic mistake of MFE applicants: you try to find out information after the fact.

Didn't you find all the info you need before you even apply?
If you don't have all the info needed to join X, Y, why you still made such an investment of every penny you saved.

In conclusion: Stony Brook has a new program, and needs to get it more organized. Ok, fine. Separately, some 'stars' burned out. Happens all the time. Doesn't matter what program you come from or with what company you end up. So, 'whatever' and 'who cares'.
Yes see, back on topic!
I googled the masters of engineering as well, but, as it seems through Andy's IP tracking... OP was a columbia student?
And @Alexei Smirnov, that's not Leroy for sure.

Yes see, back on topic!
I googled the masters of engineering as well, but, as it seems through Andy's IP tracking... OP was a columbia student?
And @Alexei Smirnov, that's not Leroy for sure.
OP is an old member and I don't remember how I remember him as Columbia student. I may be wrong but it has nothing to do with IP tracking or such. I simply asked him if he is Columbia student which he didn't answer.
Yeap, the Master of Engineering threw off a lot of people, myself included, because I have not heard of the exact phrase "Master of Engineering in Quantitative Finance". If you google for this phrase in quotation, it will lead to this very thread and some Chinese sites with Stony Brook in it.
See http://tinyurl.com/3v6gylw

This program lists Robert Frey as director. And of course, Ilya is a big fan of Frey
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/suny-stony-brook-quantitative-finance.2679/#post-24864

I wonder if it has anything to do with this appointment
http://www.quantnet.com/svetlozar-rachev-appointed-frey-professor-in-quantitative-finance/

When making a decision about a program, most of the international students look for their college alumni or contacts of alumni who did similar programs. No matter which forum you follow, quantnet or wilmott or xyz, you should base your conclusions based on the first hand information that you get by talking to people, linkedin contacts etc etc.
Post that information here and try to substantiate the views right rather than just grunting out anger on some progam which did not meet your expectations. If it didn't that means you did not do enough homework before making your decision.
Let's say someone was really excited by a program by it's name or brand and did not invest time to find out if it's worth the money he/she invests, later disappointed with the curriculum. I feel one should take it up with the program directors and see if they can do something about it. With the competing number of MFE programs, I think feedback in most probability will be taken positively.
Let's keep the spirit and good intentions on which the forum was based upon.

OP is an old member and I don't remember how I remember him as Columbia student. I may be wrong but it has nothing to do with IP tracking or such. I simply asked him if he is Columbia student which he didn't answer.
Ah! Perhaps he isn't then? He denies accs to his profile page (grr!) but that didn't stop me for searching for posts by member, which led me here:

http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/2008-refresher-courses.1362/#post-16021

Another Baruch thread. He seems to be a Baruch alum?

The answer lies within your own past posts.

Are you implying that I am "Leroy", his embodiment, or his associate? I don't appreciate being publicly slandered. I have no idea who "he" is and my point was that I want to get to the bottom of this just like everyone else.

Are you implying that I am "Leroy", his embodiment, or his associate? I don't appreciate being publicly slandered. I have no idea who "he" is and my point was that I want to get to the bottom of this just like everyone else.
Nothing is implied.
I simply pointed to the fact that you have heared of him. In fact, you posted on May 16 in the IAFE thread that "I heard Leroy Williams may be there". And you posted on April 19 on the Leroy thread. This is contradictory to your question here that "who is Leroy everyone spoken off".
If you want to get to get to the bottom of Leroy, this thread is not the place.
You simply hijack this thread when it was just getting back on topic.

Back