• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Data Science/Machine Learning role in Marketing Analytics firm vs or Equity Research role

Hi QuantNet members

I have two firms trying to recruit me at the moment for a new role in Europe (salaries converted to USD). I'm relatively young in terms of my quant experience.

1. Role 1: Data Science and Machine Learning Engineer role in Marketing Analytics firm. Compensation would be 70-85K+ USD. Small firm and super technical role with big data technologies.
2. Role 2: Entry level Equity Research Analyst at very prestigious bank. But they pay new analysts 40-60K USD. They said I could have the possibility of transferring to a quant role. (But internal recruiters say anything)

The first role is more appealing me purely due to the fact I will continue to build a rare skill set (And I would enjoy the job) and won't be lacking in jobs 2-4 years however I fear it is not related to quantitative finance which is what I actually want to enter.

The second role is related to finance but the non systematic/quant trading approach does not make sense to me at all. + I would be working 80-100+ HR work weeks.

Is it better to build technical skills VS working any job in finance?

Will working at a marketing firm rule me out from Data Science or Quant roles later on?

Thanks for any feedback.

80-100 work weeks in Europe?(?)

Yes that's how much Entry level Equity Research analysts work in banks + Attrition rate is around 50-70% in M&A and Equity research in the first two years (Germany and UK anyway).

The older and more prestigious banks and boutiques often pay less (I. E. Exploitation of young people)

Last edited:
wow, this salary level does not work in the us... seems option 1 is a clear winner but that is still on the low end...

wow, this salary level does not work in the us... seems option 1 is a clear winner but that is still on the low end...

Yep US on a completely different level.

Entry level role at Quant Trading firm or well funded start-up in the US = Data Scientist/Engineer with 3-5 years of experience in Europe at bank [you can easily verify this with open source data]

Remark: 45K Euros puts you in the 90-95th percentile of most European countries. + Europeans don't have overhead costs like health care etc.

Last edited:
Back