• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Destroy my resume

Hey, I'd like to get accepted into a top QF master degree in Europe (UK & Continental) so ETH, EPFL, Oxford....

Here's a quick run down of my resume and you read the title.... you can be as cruel as you want.

Education:
- Bachelors in Economics, Université Paris Cité (old Paris V descartes), 16/20 GPA, Top 10 out a ~300 student cohort, excellence path.

Work Experience:
- Summer Analyst in Structured Finance at Standard & Poors France
- Financial Analyst intern at a small tech start-up
- Junior Sales rep at a tech company

Extracurriculars
- I run a YT channel dedicated to various topics in finance (Stock Valuations & Equity Research, concepts and topics in finance, etc), I'm not famous but I'm pulling a good amount of views
- Cofounded a small quant investment fund, we run option strategies and we do quite a bit of coding, but it's mainly for fun.
- Speak 4 languages fluently (Spanish, English, French & German)

Thx

Hey, I'd like to get accepted into a top QF master degree in Europe (UK & Continental) so ETH, EPFL, Oxford....

Here's a quick run down of my resume and you read the title.... you can be as cruel as you want.

Education:
- Bachelors in Economics, Université Paris Cité (old Paris V descartes), 16/20 GPA, Top 10 out a ~300 student cohort, excellence path.

Work Experience:

Extracurriculars
- I run a YT channel dedicated to various topics in finance (Stock Valuations & Equity Research, concepts and topics in finance, etc), I'm not famous but I'm pulling a good amount of views
- Cofounded a small quant investment fund, we run option strategies and we do quite a bit of coding, but it's mainly for fun.

Thx
More maths needed I would say, certainly if you apply to El Karoui or the other famous M2 in France (forgot the name). I had a call with a quant at ADIA, and he emphasized how important it was to know how to code too.

So in plain terms: more maths + more coding. I think you can't go wrong with those. You can always revert back to less quantitative roles. But you can't do the reverse if you don't have the tools.

Education:

Work Experience:

Extracurriculars

Thx
When you say Oxford QF master degree are you referring to the Oxford MFE or MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance? I ask as I'm currently doing my undergrad in economics and have spoken to faculty there about my eligibility for both programs given a vast majority of my quantitative exposure is through my economics curriculum. Overwhelmingly, the feedback I got was that econ undergrads are suitable candidates for the MFE but would likely not have the mathematics and programming background for the MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance without a fairly sizable amount of supplementary work/reading. That being said, also note that if you are thinking of doing the Oxford MFE, it is hosted by the business school and strikes me more as a finance degree (despite the fact I've seen people on here refer to it as a QF degree). This is made somewhat evident by the fact that many alumni from the program tend to go into more traditional finance roles as opposed to quant roles (based on a quick linkedin search of where alum have ended up).

Just my two-cents so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
More maths needed I would say, certainly if you apply to El Karoui or the other famous M2 in France (forgot the name). I had a call with a quant at ADIA, and he emphasized how important it was to know how to code too.

So in plain terms: more maths + more coding. I think you can't go wrong with those. You can always revert back to less quantitative roles. But you can't do the reverse if you don't have the tools.
Awesome man thank you a lot.

In your experience what's the best way to "validate" the extra work you put into coding and maths? (e.g taking courses, extracurriculars, etc) I fear the admissions office will just look at my programme curriculum and decide based on that.

Again, thanks for your help!

When you say Oxford QF master degree are you referring to the Oxford MFE or MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance? I ask as I'm currently doing my undergrad in economics and have spoken to faculty there about my eligibility for both programs given a vast majority of my quantitative exposure is through my economics curriculum. Overwhelmingly, the feedback I got was that econ undergrads are suitable candidates for the MFE but would likely not have the mathematics and programming background for the MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance without a fairly sizable amount of supplementary work/reading. That being said, also note that if you are thinking of doing the Oxford MFE, it is hosted by the business school and strikes me more as a finance degree (despite the fact I've seen people on here refer to it as a QF degree). This is made somewhat evident by the fact that many alumni from the program tend to go into more traditional finance roles as opposed to quant roles (based on a quick linkedin search of where alum have ended up).

Just my two-cents so take it with a grain of salt.
I was initially aiming at doing the MSc in Mathematical and Computational Finance, since I'm putting the extra work into the quantitative aspect (maths and code) through my extracurriculars. However, now that you mention the MFE, I guess it would be kind of a safer bet, but you're right it's not a QF degree by any means.

Thanks for the help!

In your experience what's the best way to "validate" the extra work you put into coding and maths? (e.g taking courses, extracurriculars, etc) I fear the admissions office will just look at my programme curriculum and decide based on that.
I'll head off Dr. Duffy and tell you to look into Quantnet's C++ courses. They have good recognition, many candidates (in the US at least) who apply to every school each year have taken them. The admission's office will know what they are and what they taught you.

Coding won't be the worst bit of the interview though, probably one of the easier sides. Probability theory/math stat and basic finance knowledge seems to appear more often.

Back