• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do all programs start in the summer?

AndrewChang

Baruch MFE Alum
Hi everyone on quantnet!

I was wondering if all programs started in the summer. I was actually looking towards going to Columbia MFE but then I just looked at their website and the program seems like it starts in the summer and there was a line saying "assuming you graduate May 20XX." I am actually going to graduate in August of 2011 as I want to take some more programming classes before I graduated because when I apply for the MFE program, I'm only going to have one programming class. Should I take more programming classes and graduate August 2011? or should I just graduate in May 2011 and does Stochastics or Monte Carlo Simulations classes count as programming classes? Thanks in advance!

More programming in your case definitely helps.
I doubt that Stochastic or Monte Carlo Simulations classes count as programming; however, they are very helpful as prerequisites for a MFE program.

Thanks for the responses! I'm guessing I won't be applying to Columbia then but that was my dream program. However, Andy, you mention there were programs start in the Spring, can you give me an example? Thanks!

Back