• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do interviewers care about my pure math PhD thesis and whether I have publications?

I have recently graduated with a phd in pure math (harmonic analysis type stuff) from a respectable university, however, I don't have any publications (did not even try submitting) and I had chosen to embargo my thesis for a year so it is not possible to download from the university repository.

Now I realise maybe it was a bad idea to restrict the access in case the interviewer may want to see what type of maths did my research involve or do they not care when it's pure maths anyway? I could turn some chapters into paper-style articles and upload to Arxiv to make it available. Would it be a good idea? Or perhaps trying to publish some of my work - this would require even more editting but again, would it make any difference if my work was published in a decent journal?

Thanks!

I know Harmonic Analysis. It is a beautiful mix of Fourier on all kinds of spaces, Banach algebras and so on. I loved Functional Analysis as undergrad.

I am not an interviewer, so I am not sure whether an (unrefereed?) article in arxIv is so special. BTW I have never been asked by a quant "What is HA?"

For me, maths is maths and splitting intio pure, applied, numerical is a bit artificial in my opinion.

Recurring themes in finance

All kinds of dfferential equation ODE, SDE, PDE, PIDE
Monte Carlo
Numerical methods (daily quant work)
Data and statistics
C++, Python, Excel
etc.

Some pointers

I know Harmonic Analysis. It is a beautiful mix of Fourier on all kinds of spaces, Banach algebras and so on. I loved Functional Analysis as undergrad.

I am not an interviewer, so I am not sure whether an (unrefereed?) article in arxIv is so special. BTW I have never been asked by a quant "What is HA?"

For me, maths is maths and splitting intio pure, applied, numerical is a bit artificial in my opinion.

Recurring themes in finance

All kinds of dfferential equation ODE, SDE, PDE, PIDE
Monte Carlo
Numerical methods (daily quant work)
Data and statistics
C++, Python, Excel
etc.

Some pointers

In my case, I mainly worked in the Euclidean space but there is a lot of analysis done on different spaces as you've mentioned indeed.

I made the categorization of my area being "pure" just to mean that it was not any kind of probability / statistics / numerical methods or even differential equations related theme.

A friend of mine, also a recent PhD grad who has published some parts of his thesis said that his interviewers actually looked at his work and asked some questions - which was about mean field games, so definitely more relevant to the industry than HA. This made me wonder whether not having my work accessible and also unpublished may be perceived negatively. I could make 2-3 papers out of my thesis and send for publications - but if it is unlikely to make any difference then may as well spend that time on learning something else.

Back