• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do these courses hold any value in admission process?

Hi folks, I was thinking to apply to various MFE programmes next fall(2025), and came across a number of online courses that sound very relevant to MS applications.
Some of the examples are--->
1.) Financial markets, offered by Yale University -> Financial Markets
2.) Financial Engineering and Risk Management Specialization, by Columbia University, this one sounds very relevant to MFE programmes. Financial Engineering and Risk Management

My question is, such specializations/courses require a significant time and energy investment. Although these courses sound good from the POV of developing an understanding of relevant subjects, are they of any use to increase the odds of an admit, when applying for MFE programmes in US universities like UChicago, Mfin in MIT etc.
Thanks in advance!!!

PS - I already know about pre MFE programmes, but they are quite expensive tbh for an international student like me.

From a cost perspective, these free online courses are a bargain. You can't beat getting knowledge from such famous institutions.
In reality, its utility is as good as reading a book. There is no barrier of entry, no rigorous exam and so many people have these skills/certificates these days.
It shows that you have an interest in learning finance but beyond that, it does not have any tangible value as far as providing an edge for MFE applications.

I understand your perspective when trying to minimize the initial investment but keep in mind that this is an expensive investment to get into this industry. If you are going to pay $100K for a degree, spending $1-2K for hard courses like pre-MFE is a small fraction which may get you into a top school, and a high paying job.
Or you can apply on a budget, get into a budget school and get a job that is during your lifetime of working will net you a loss of several millions in income.

There is no right or wrong in each approach. Even if you go into a mid-tier program, getting a job in the financial industry will earn you an income higher than most average Americans or anyone in the world. Think of everything you do now is an investment. You have to spend money to make money.

From a cost perspective, these free online courses are a bargain. You can't beat getting knowledge from such famous institutions.
In reality, its utility is as good as reading a book. There is no barrier of entry, no rigorous exam and so many people have these skills/certificates these days.
It shows that you have an interest in learning finance but beyond that, it does not have any tangible value as far as providing an edge for MFE applications.

I understand your perspective when trying to minimize the initial investment but keep in mind that this is an expensive investment to get into this industry. If you are going to pay $100K for a degree, spending $1-2K for hard courses like pre-MFE is a small fraction which may get you into a top school, and a high paying job.
Or you can apply on a budget, get into a budget school and get a job that is during your lifetime of working will net you a loss of several millions in income.

There is no right or wrong in each approach. Even if you go into a mid-tier program, getting a job in the financial industry will earn you an income higher than most average Americans or anyone in the world. Think of everything you do now is an investment. You have to spend money to make money.
You're not wrong,Andy.
Thanks for the perspective.

Back