• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Do you even lift? What are your hobbies outside of the quant world?

I'll look at that, could be interesting to do some data science on my logs. My experience with app logs is they're usually not flexible enough for what I'm doing. Maybe I should write my own.

[USER=26601 said:
@Anik Roy[/USER], the minute you buy a belt you'll hit 3 plate squat. I don't see the point in waiting. Also Oly shoes are debatable for DL.

I agree with that, but that wouldn't satisfy my ego. I want to get there "without help" lol. Plus I am a broke college student, so I am trying to hold off purchasing any non essential goods for as long as possible.

I used to carry paper notepad and pen with me and saw lot of guys did that but I have been using this Android app and quite pleased with it. I like it so much I bought the pro version. One less thing to carry with me to the gym
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.selahsoft.workoutlog

I use the FitNotes app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.jamesgay.fitnotes It's completely free and has every fitness feature imaginable (exaggerating).

This app has a built-in 1RM calculator and charts your 1RM on any specific exercise. Obviously the chart will go up and down, but the overall trend will indicate if you're making progress or just spinning your wheels. There's also a built in rest timer, and very easy access to previous workout records.

Edit:
@Yike Lu You'll love this app for data purposes. The developer will include a daily volume chart in the next update, according to their twitter or fb.

429/249/501 SQ/BP/DL -- competition maxes (* in LBs). Done @ weight of 185 (198 class).

Strange numbers.. How many reps? Pretty weak on the bench (especially relative to deadlift and squats)
//edit: Oh yeah, I do MMA and also weightlifting.

Strange numbers.. How many reps? Pretty weak on the bench (especially relative to deadlift and squats)
//edit: Oh yeah, I do MMA and also weightlifting.
Huh? They're competition maxes, ie 1RM. Yeah, it is a relatively weak bench. Relatively long arms I guess.

Interesting thread. I work in model validation and therefore, have loads of free time. Weight lifting / body-building is definitely on my list of hobbies to pursue next, but the training is quite different than what I'm used to. Currently, my thing is running marathons, kung-fu, and hiking (Rainier this August). Any advice for a beginner (150 lb athletic build dude, curls 25-30 lbs - 12 reps 3 sets, bench own body weight 5 reps) who just wants to bulk up and define my upper half?

Any advice for a beginner (150 lb athletic build dude, curls 25-30 lbs - 12 reps 3 sets, bench own body weight 5 reps) who just wants to bulk up and define my upper half?

I would do heavy compound movements since they're the most functional. I recommend squats and deadlifts for almost everyone, but they're lower body dominant movements. For upper body I would focus on 3 main movements: Overhead Press, Bench Press, and Bent-Over Barbell Row(also Pull Ups don't hurt) plus any accessories.

A very good program for beginners that takes all the above into consideration:
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Good Luck!!!

Any advice for a beginner (150 lb athletic build dude, curls 25-30 lbs - 12 reps 3 sets, bench own body weight 5 reps) who just wants to bulk up and define my upper half?
When you first start lifting you'll be hitting muscles you've never really used before. Muscle groups that should be strong may at first be weaker than others. For example, your back may be weaker than your biceps. It's important that when you do your lifts, you focus on proper form and activating the right muscles to complete the lift. For example, when doing rows, it may at first be easier for you to pull the weight with your biceps, but you should really focus on pulling with your back.

Interesting thread. I work in model validation and therefore, have loads of free time. Weight lifting / body-building is definitely on my list of hobbies to pursue next, but the training is quite different than what I'm used to. Currently, my thing is running marathons, kung-fu, and hiking (Rainier this August). Any advice for a beginner (150 lb athletic build dude, curls 25-30 lbs - 12 reps 3 sets, bench own body weight 5 reps) who just wants to bulk up and define my upper half?

Ditch the curls and any other isolation exercises. Compound exercises only. Do a full-body workout of Squat, Bench press, Row, Chins, and Military Press 3x per week. Focus on perfect technique.

Awesome feedback guys. Compound exercises it is. Proper form and perfect technique, got it. I'll start after marathon season ends. Actually had to google the overhead press and military press; they seem to be the same (I called them "raise the roofs" until now). Must get familiar with the gym lingo. Thanks again.

Ditch the curls and any other isolation exercises. Compound exercises only. Do a full-body workout of Squat, Bench press, Row, Chins, and Military Press 3x per week. Focus on perfect technique.
What exercise are you referring to by Chins?

Ive never heard it abbreviated as chins before. That family of exercises are usually labeled as pull ups with chin ups being the form of pullup with inward facing palms.

Cut down on the marathon training. Eat enough food.

This! Nutrition has always been my priority- no matter what routine you select, you won't make progress until the diet is in check. Good luck!

Ive never heard it abbreviated as chins before. That family of exercises are usually labeled as pull ups with chin ups being the form of pullup with inward facing palms.

I use chins to mean any vertical plane pulling motion. Palm direction doesn't matter. Do what you prefer. Though having your palms parallel and facing each other, in front of your face, will save your shoulders if you intend to lift more than a couple of years.

Awesome feedback guys. Compound exercises it is. Proper form and perfect technique, got it. I'll start after marathon season ends. Actually had to google the overhead press and military press; they seem to be the same (I called them "raise the roofs" until now). Must get familiar with the gym lingo. Thanks again.
Count your macro, get your protein. Eat calories surplus if you are bulking.
I just started my program about 3 months ago and I'm bulking to around your weight now.
I do squats, bench presses, bent-over rows, overhead presses,stiff legged deadlifts, barbell curls and calf raises each session in that order. I added pull down lat at the end and sit ups on light days.
I'm still working to bench/squat my weight for 2 sets 12 reps each.
The program is called AllPro: Beginner
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761

Do whatever works for you. Do not drop isolation exercises if you feel better with isos included in your training. Every body is different. Dont forget to vary (wide grip vs tight grip, few repetitions (3-8) vs lots of reps (10-18), 3 sets vs 5 sets, weights etc). Enjoy

Do whatever works for you. Do not drop isolation exercises if you feel better with isos included in your training. Every body is different. Dont forget to vary (wide grip vs tight grip, few repetitions (3-8) vs lots of reps (10-18), 3 sets vs 5 sets, weights etc). Enjoy

Yes, every person is different but we're all humans, and there is quite a large body of work on training which has shown what is and isn't effective.

For natural trainers, isolation exercises are vastly inferior in terms of bang for your buck. Also, you should not vary intensity, load and volume randomly but in a calculated periodised fashion.

Also, you should not vary intensity, load and volume randomly but in a calculated periodised fashion.
I don't really periodize, I prefer evidence based progression.

For a lot of my assistance work for example, I use Charles Staley's EDT method. Set a timer (good values are usually 10 minutes or 15 minutes), pick a set of exercises (can be just 1), pick a weight, do as many reps as you can in that time period. Once you increase your reps by 20%, increase weight by 5%. How you arrange your reps is up to you.

Good guidelines for this are: if you use more than 1 exercise, try to make them be for different body parts/areas. The standard starting weight guideline is 10RM and start with 5 reps per set. I usually take half of the RM weight and pick the X - RM based on what I want to emphasize. If I want strength focus, I might use 4RM and do 2 reps per set.

What this does is bring a very strict measurement logic to your workouts and gives you a consistent form of progression.

Is lifting typical in quant circles? Just wondering. btw. i do not lift except sporadically some pull ups (and I do a little bit of yoga every day).

Back