• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does it make financial sense for a software engineer to quit job and join a financial engineering pr

• Thread starter Thread starter Eric.Z
  • Start date Start date
I am a software engineer making a solid 6 figure at a trading firm. I do have a master's in math and am quite interested in mathematical finance, but the tuition at those master programs is outrageous. Does it make financial sense for me to quit my job and join a mfe program?

On a separate note, you guys have any ideas about the top 10% starting salary for students fresh out of top mfe programs?

By the way I am only two years out of college. I am willing to do the work; it is the tuition makes hesitate.

I am a software engineer making a solid 6 figure at a trading firm. I do have a master's in math and am quite interested in mathematical finance, but the tuition at those master programs is outrageous. Does it make financial sense for me to quit my job and join a mfe program?

On a separate note, you guys have any ideas about the top 10% starting salary for students fresh out of top mfe programs?

You already have a masters in math and (based on your current job) software skills. Why do you want to pursue an MFE? What do you think you'll get out of it? Even at Baruch, that's a big cost (financial cost if you leave your job; social/sanity cost if you work and go to school). Like @Pavlos Sakoglou said, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of upside here. A little self-study on topics/areas where you are interested or lack knowledge, coupled with some networking, and you should be in a good spot.

Don't get me wrong, I think the MFE degrees are great, but this notion that you have to have one to get into quant finance is absurd, especially if you already have your background/skills.

Back