• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does it make sense to consider Toronto MMF as a US citizen?

I'm interested in the program for a variety of personal reasons, but does it make sense from a strictly career sense? I'm worried about career placement and the hassle of being an international student

Why go backward in terms of job market and connections? You are also going to pay international student tuition rate (a lot more expensive than domestic)

Other than that: It's less of a hassle than going the other way (Canadian to US) as path to Green Card (PR) and subsequently citizenship is a lot shorter in Canada than US.

I'm interested in the program for a variety of personal reasons, but does it make sense from a strictly career sense? I'm worried about career placement and the hassle of being an international student

The buy side institutions are pretty good in Canada - CDPQ, CPPIB, OTPP - if thats your thing. Otherwise you can always get placed at TD Securities or BMO out of US institutes. The securities arm of Canadian banks are well funded and a good place to be as they will grow in the next decade.

The buy side institutions are pretty good in Canada - CDPQ, CPPIB, OTPP - if thats your thing. Otherwise you can always get placed at TD Securities or BMO out of US institutes. The securities arm of Canadian banks are well funded and a good place to be as they will grow in the next decade.
At my previous firm, when colleagues had bad luck w/ H1B visas, many went to Canada for work and did quite well. Toronto is a dynamic city, with a lot of energy and growth, which to me (completely uninformed), seems largely due to smart immigration policies. To build on long gamma's point, there's a lot going on there. When Loonie was strong to the dollar post crisis, Canadian insurance companies bought up US asset managers (e.g. Manulife / John Hancock). It's not a traditional money center, but there is plenty going on there. When I was coming up through middle office on buy side, word on the street was canadian market was pretty saturated w/ CFA charterholders, so you kind of needed one even for a back office job. Not sure how much sell side is going on there, but agree w/ @longgamma 's points. Still, probably easier to go from US to Canada w/ top MFE degree than Canada to US w/ mid ranking degree. Personal reasons are no joke, though. Take those seriously.

At my previous firm, when colleagues had bad luck w/ H1B visas, many went to Canada for work and did quite well. Toronto is a dynamic city, with a lot of energy and growth, which to me (completely uninformed), seems largely due to smart immigration policies. To build on long gamma's point, there's a lot going on there. When Loonie was strong to the dollar post crisis, Canadian insurance companies bought up US asset managers (e.g. Manulife / John Hancock). It's not a traditional money center, but there is plenty going on there. When I was coming up through middle office on buy side, word on the street was canadian market was pretty saturated w/ CFA charterholders, so you kind of needed one even for a back office job. Not sure how much sell side is going on there, but agree w/ @longgamma 's points. Still, probably easier to go from US to Canada w/ top MFE degree than Canada to US w/ mid ranking degree. Personal reasons are no joke, though. Take those seriously.
Also Raptors > Knicks, so you can justify drinking in sports bars

The buy side institutions are pretty good in Canada - CDPQ, CPPIB, OTPP - if thats your thing.
Good to know as a chinese US citizen. At this rate of things going on here...the optionality to bounce to another buy-side institution in canada would be great

Last edited:
Back