• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Does the C++ course make sense for quant job seeking?

I 'm 36, based in germany, currently working by a bank, but not a quant position though i have a master in mathematics. Does the C++ course still make sence for whom seeking a quant job not MFE program (I think i am too old for that)? If yes, can i immidiately enroll this course? Thank you.

Bill,
We have a decent number of people with very similar profile like yours that successfully completed the C++ cert, not for MFE admission purpose. Many of them are working for financial institutions and use the knowledge in the C++ course to improve on the job skills as well as for future career prospect. Most of them feel like they accomplish a lot toward that goal after completion.

You can immediately enroll in this course. Click here

On a very general note, C++ is a great skill to have because 1) it is used in many industries and 2) it is the most powerful and extensive programming language around 3) it is a basis for more advanced topics.

So it is a good job skill and personal skill to have. C++ will be here forever IMO. And 36 is verrry young:)

hth

Daniel Duffy

BTW I am the originator of the C++ course :)

Thank you Andy, thank you Daniel, that's very kind of you to answer my question so quickly and clear.
I have just paid the tuition fee, can i access the learning material soon, right?

On a very general note, C++ is a great skill to have because 1) it is used in many industries and 2) it is the most powerful and extensive programming language around 3) it is a basis for more advanced topics.

So it is a good job skill and personal skill to have. C++ will be here forever IMO. And 36 is verrry young:)

hth

Daniel Duffy

BTW I am the originator of the C++ course :)

Bill,

If you planned to retired at the age of 60 (a general accepted retirement planned), you have another 24 years working. Never too late to start a new course or switch career.

Bill,

If you planned to retired at the age of 60 (a general accepted retirement planned), you have another 24 years working. Never too late to start a new course or switch career.

I suspect when the time comes most people will be retiring > 70-75-85 years. I'm not kidding.

BTW it's _never_ too late. Make sure you have lots to do when you retire.

Bill,

What happens when you reach 60? You should plan for that as well.

BTW in 24 years time you will be 60, 15 years _off_ retirement age. I'm deadly serious.

Indeed. Pending some miracles, social securities will disappear for young working people today, retirement age will be pushed beyond 60-65 mark and you may have to keep working beyond that to pay your bills.
How can you retire when you still have debt and not enough saving while cost of living and health care increase?
People in finance don't have a pension so unless you strike it big, keeping on working is the only way out.

Can one be sharp enough to program in their 60s-70s? ;)

Can one be sharp enough to program in their 60s-70s?

There´s a decline in the ability to pick up new things (one notices this even in one´s thirties). But maybe more importantly, physical factors creep in uninvited -- carpal tunnel, back problems, eye problems.

The point you bring up about being stuck on the treadmill is true.

You have to be careful not to project your own lifestyle on other people, although it's usually safe. You could easily live in many parts of the country on a much more limited income and a very simple lifestyle. Although your life would probably be pretty boring and you might not have the greatest health care, you'd still be doing better than the majority of all humans ever alive!

Hi Andy:
I'm studying in a MSQF program near NY. My school doesn't teach us C++ programming and I know the skill is important for seeking quant jobs. Do you think this c++ certificate is helpful for quant job seeking and are the materials taught in the courses are enough for quant jobs?
Thank you very much for your time!

My school doesn't teach us C++ programming

That's a pity. Leaning the easy stuff and not the hard stuff is a disservice to students.

and I know the skill is important for seeking quant jobs.

Yes. And in some fields outside of quant.

Do you think this c++ certificate is helpful for quant job seeking

This cert deals with modern C++ and applications.

are the materials taught in the courses are enough for quant jobs?

Well, they give you a fighting chance. The future is in your hands.

BTW I am the originator of C++ course.

Last edited:
Hi Andy:
I'm studying in a MSQF program near NY. My school doesn't teach us C++ programming and I know the skill is important for seeking quant jobs. Do you think this c++ certificate is helpful for quant job seeking and are the materials taught in the courses are enough for quant jobs?
Thank you very much for your time!
If you see the outline of this course, you get to learn a lot of the basics of OOP and GP (classes and templates are widely used in applications, for example), plus you get a great deal in level 9 of financial applications, especially for option pricing (BS model), put-call parity, MC, PDEs, ready-to-use algorithms and files.

In my opinion it's the ideal start to learn for the first time C++ for Quant Fin. But as Daniel said, in order to be really good at it is ever-ending.

Back