• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Economics major for MFE

Dear QuantNet users,

I was an international student with quite a few "wandering" years, when I was unsure of what I wanted to do. My profile is therefore spotty; I finished high school in Asia, trained in the rote learning, non-critical style, and had a really hard time adjusting to the logic-driven and written work centered coursework in college(although in the end I did get some hang of it). At the same time, while I had somewhat of an aptitude in math, I didn't want to focus on calculating derivatives et cetera in college, since I wanted dearly to know what to do with life and find out what I wanted to do.

In the end, I graduated with economics BA and a heavy philosophy courseload(one short of a major) from an Ivy, and now work for a central bank in Asia, doing economics research and writing up research articles. Of course this is nothing hard to do since I only have a BA(with really bad grades, admittedly). But this experience has helped me find out that I am a slightly "mathy academic" type that might do well in mathematics and research if I devote myself to it full-time. I'm not very social although I can make myself to be gregarious if the situation requires.

At the same time, I want a job that pays well and I don't want to make the same mistake going into the United States as I had when I went to college there. Neither do I want to spend my entire time in a purely academic setting.

So my question is : Can I get into an MFE program without any math courses above Calc I? Should I do an econ phd(with foundation diploma courses in the UK which I think will accept me), MFE, or a Doctor of Business Admin, or an MBA? I know that realistically an MBA is the best shot at admissions, but then the job prospects as an international student is uncertain, as is the very nature of the MBA that doesn't guarantee anything in terms of getting into finance or consulting.

Last edited:
Can I get into an MFE program without any math courses above Calc I?
Not likely.

Should I do an econ phd(with foundation diploma courses in the UK which I think will accept me), MFE, or a Doctor of Business Admin, or an MBA?
If you want to do research, do a Ph.D. I don't know what the Doctor of Business Admin is but seems like an industry-oriented degree so do that or an MBA if you want to go into industry. Don't do a Ph.D just to get a job.

You'll be in struggle town (by the sounds of it) from a financial mathematics or financial engineering masters. A lot of people think they're "mathy". I thought I was (I have studied a lot of mathematics) and still struggled in parts. Look into MSOR programs (Columbia and LSE come to mind) that are more flexible in terms of curriculum. Or a flexible MFin, like MIT or Princeton. Or an MBA in analytical finance. A lot depends on what you want to do and your GRE scores etc. too... so get that in order.

Also, I know that you can get a job in the US as an international if you hustle.

Do a PhD in economics or a master in econometrics which might satisfy your, as you say, "mathy' desires. Believe the math that you like is light years away of Measure Theory, Real Analysis and Stochastic Calculus math. After you go through those, come back here and talk to us about being "mathy".

Back