• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Education Advice

Hi, I'm a portuguese student and I've applied to a Master in Finance. I'm considering some optional courses at the moment and it would be great if you could give me some advice.

I have a bachelor in economics, in which, among others I've completed:

Math 1:
Real functions of n real variables:
1 - Graph of a function;
2 - Limits and continuity;
3 - Differentiation: partial differentiation, differentiability, approximation of functions, derivative of composite functions;
4 - Homogeneous functions;
5 - Implicit functions;
6 - Free and constrained optimization.

Math 2: Algebra and Integrals

Statistics 1 and 2

Econometrics:
0. INTRODUCTION: subject and methodology of Econometrics
1. THE LINEAR REGRESSION MODEL: elementary concepts and notation; least squares (OLS) estimators of the regression coefficients; coefficient of determination; assumptions of the classical model of linear regression; properties of the OLS estimators; the estimator of the variance of the disturbances
2. EXTENSIONS OF THE LINEAR REGRESSION MODEL: choosing a functional form; dummy variables; models for the trend and seasonal components
3. INFERENCE IN THE LINEAR REGRESSION MODEL: the normality assumption; maximum likelihood (ML) estimators; testing hypothesis about a single coefficient; testing hypothesis about linear restrictions on coefficients; testing the overall significance of the regression; forecasting; testing the equality between sets of coefficients in two regressions

2 Finance courses (corporate finance and financial markets and investments)

The courses that I'm considering are:

- Stochastic Processes (Markov Chain, Brownian Motion, Martingales, etc)

- Numerical methods and Computational Simulation

The syllabus from the second one is:

Numerical solution of systems of linear equations (direct and iterative methods);
Numerical solution of systems of ordinary differential equations (Euler, Runge-Kutta, finite differences);
Numerical solution of systems of partial differential equations (finite differences, Galerkin methods, FFTs). Advection-diffusion equations (Crank-Nicholson and leap-frog schemes).
Stability analysis, consistency and convergence of numerical schemes.
Simulation: fundamental concepts and issues. Random number generation.
Monte Carlo Methods. Monte Carlo Integration. Convergence diagnosis and variance reduction. Monte Carlo statistical inference. Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC).

Do I learned the basics for these courses?

Would these two courses give me an edge on quant or finance related job?

Thank you in advance.

I'm doing them in my Master in Finance so when I'm done, I'll have a Master degree with this courses.

As I was reading this a second time, I realized that probably I wasn't explicit. The two courses that I am considering, can be done in the master degrees in my university, not in the bachelors. I've already finished bachelor degree and I'm thinking which would I choose for the master program, if these two or two finance related ones.

Unfortunately programming courses aren't available as options, so I'll have to study on my own.

Should I learn VBA for myself or try C++ in a program like the quantnet online course?
VBA is pretty easy to pick up but where and what will you use it for?
Find out what kind of programming language that you will use to do the HW in your master program. Some will use Matlab, R, etc.
The online C++ we offer here is tough to do if you are studying/working full-time. Most people are taking it to meet admission requirement for a top MFE program.

I won't use almost any programming language on my master program. I've time during the summer to learn anything, so would like to know which would be better to enhance my CV.

I've done some VBA and R some years ago but don't remember anything so it is like starting again.

Back