• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Electricity, Power price hedging

Greetings!

I work for big retail company where we buy from distributors great amounts of power, electricity. I heard that in the past we had some huge losses due to buying huge quantities for 4 years upfront and then right after the prices went down dramatically. Since I know few things about thse things I am just wondering if anyone has some experience about hedging electricity? Should this be the job of supplier (distrubutor) ?
Here in Europe the problem itself is liquidity.

Best regards

Hi Sebastjan,

I am just wondering if anyone has some experience about hedging electricity?
I do.

Should this be the job of supplier (distrubutor)?
It is a job of supplier, i.e. of your employer.
A distributor (if you mean Netzbetreiteber/network operator) is technically responsible for a smooth supply of the end-customer (even if a supplies, i.e. your company) reserves (nominates) a not (perfectly) correct amount of power. But a distributor transfers his costs to the supplier.

Here in Europe the problem itself is liquidity.
Europe != Europe.
Some German Futures are quite liquid:
Phelix Futures
And don't forget the OTC trading

Back