• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

emphasizing math on my resume?

So I'm an (undergrad) economics major and math minor, and according to my career advisor a lot of trading-type internships look specifically for math/stats majors. The thing is, I have basically all of the math major finished (a year of analysis, ODEs/PDEs, etc), I just really don't want to take algebra or complex variables (which are required for the major and algebra is even required for the minor!).
I also have extensive coursework in statistics. How do I emphasize that my background is quite a bit more quantitative than the average econ major?

Your background isn't quantitative until you've taken complex analysis and algebra. You're either a math major, or you're not - merely a guy who took the easy applied courses on the side.

I just really don't want to take algebra or complex variables (which are required for the major and algebra is even required for the minor!).

Complex won't give you any problems -- there are maybe ten or twelve major results in elementary complex variables -- Cauchy-Riemann, Cauchy's theorem, residue theorem, Rouche's theorem, Laurent expansions, and a few other results and ideas. After getting through it, you will be a wiser person and see the world differently. Which leaves only abstract algebra. Which in some ways you can treat as a generalisation of the linear algebra you took earlier. So it's not that difficult to earn a math major -- just a couple of not very difficult courses.

Complex analysis is nice to know but is limited in its applicability. Imo (applied) Functional Analysis is a good basis for much of pure and numerical mathematics.

Your background isn't quantitative until you've taken complex analysis and algebra. You're either a math major, or you're not - merely a guy who took the easy applied courses on the side.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I'm not sure I could hack it in grad econometrics without a "quantitative background," and I'm doing alright so far. Likewise, I would not consider real analysis to be an "applied math" course, though I'm aware some schools offer "applied real analysis" (whatever that means). Also, my proofy linear algebra and diff eq courses were a far cry from what, say, physics majors take.

Complex won't give you any problems -- there are maybe ten or twelve major results in elementary complex variables -- Cauchy-Riemann, Cauchy's theorem, residue theorem, Rouche's theorem, Laurent expansions, and a few other results and ideas. After getting through it, you will be a wiser person and see the world differently. Which leaves only abstract algebra. Which in some ways you can treat as a generalisation of the linear algebra you took earlier. So it's not that difficult to earn a math major -- just a couple of not very difficult courses.

I'm not as much worried about the difficulty as I am about time constraints. It's either taking comp sci (C++) and stats (stochastic processes) or algebra and complex, not sure how the latter would help me other than giving me that extra BS degree.

Lookit, if the firm specifically wants math majors, you're probably in the first round. They probably don't give a crap if you took real analysis, complex analysis, or (especially) abstract algebra. Just make sure that if you do put analysis or more theoretical courses on your resume, you at least know the basic definitions. For instance, the quantitative guys at Goldman probably care about this, and if you put down real analysis or Fourier analysis and can't define 'uniform continuity' or 'Fourier transform', you're gonna look like an idiot. Likewise, don't put on ODE/PDE unless you can solve them (for PDE this means at least linear PDEs (fundamental solutions and Fourier Transform) and characteristics).

If you really want to put complex analysis on your resume, just learn it (although as hinted this is a stupid reason to learn the subject). Provided you've payed attention in your real analysis course, you can read the basic complex analysis material in Lang or Stein & Shakarchi or Ahlfors (imo Lang is the worst of these, but it's clear) in a week or two. Read Herstein for abstract algebra.

For extra fun, read the first 6 chapters of The Volatility Surface in a day.

Thanks for the advice snipez. I am indeed a bit rusty on diff eq, never having really enjoyed the classes -- would you recommend me I review relevant topics and leave it on my resume? I'm sure if I look back at my old notes I'll be well-prepared for interviews, but I'm not sure if I should risk it if having ODE/PDE isn't crucial to getting the first round.

Besides the obvious prob, stats, linear algebra, programming, etc. what would you say is a math subject that could distinguish me/get me that interview?

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I'm not sure I could hack it in grad econometrics without a "quantitative background," and I'm doing alright so far. Likewise, I would not consider real analysis to be an "applied math" course, though I'm aware some schools offer "applied real analysis" (whatever that means). Also, my proofy linear algebra and diff eq courses were a far cry from what, say, physics majors take.

I'm not as much worried about the difficulty as I am about time constraints. It's either taking comp sci (C++) and stats (stochastic processes) or algebra and complex, not sure how the latter would help me other than giving me that extra BS degree.

Of course an economists idea of quantitative is different to a mathematician's/physicist's. If you sound so sure of your plans, why ask in the first place?

Of course an economists idea of quantitative is different to a mathematician's/physicist's. If you sound so sure of your plans, why ask in the first place?

I asked how to emphasize my quantitative skills on my resume, it's something that I was unsure about. I don't understand your remark about economists, all the math classes I've taken have been in the math department (for math majors).

I don't think traders really care whether you have taken an ODE course or can solve an ODE. If you want to review for a quant interview, leave out the real analysis (which you should already know) and actually solve some ODEs.

For trading I don't think any math subject will distinguish you in getting the interview. For S&T, fit is still a very crucial factor, and the few groups that specifically select math majors can make interviews almost entirely fit-based. For prop firms, expect only brainteasers and probability theory. Part of the point is to see whether a math major can solve basic problems, though speed and mental math ability are more crucial.

The subjects that distinguish you are those that your math + econ peers haven't taken.

@Barney

You are being quite hyperbolic.

Here is one course of study at Cornell University that shows Complex Analysis as optional (requires 2 courses in Analysis, personally, I'd just take Intro to Analysis and Numerical):

http://www.math.cornell.edu/Undergraduate/Major/worksheets/math.pdf

And here is another course of study at MIT that does not even list Abstract Algebra:

http://math.mit.edu/academics/undergrad/major/course18/applied.html

Obviously the people who graduate from these programs are quantitative, or else they are not quantitative, but they are widely hired and work in quantitative fields just by accident.

@OP

I do actually agree with Barney, though that your better off with the BS in Math. A BS in Math is a much better signal to employers than listing what courses you've taken. There is an opportunity cost, but you could learn the stats and C++ stuff in your downtime.

Back