• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Energy and commodities Trading

Ya..I am confused.

I knew those companies. I did a research on crude oil reserves and natural gas..

Kean,
I think you're confused. You need to get the manual from Vladmir. Unless you were asking how I found these different companies.. the answer to that is open ears and reading the energy news!

Sounds like we have a number of people interested in the energy industry. Woody gave this link a while back - EnergyDesk. I have found it to be a great resource for daily energy news.

Very interesting :) I can understand negative prices, but "reverse direction flow"? :D I haven't heard of this before, and nothing like this was mentioned in my undergrad Physics course :)
Each zone has its consumers (demand) and generators (supply). The price is dictated by the activity of these two guys. If the generators expect high demand, but the consumption turns to be lower, they have lower prices and transport the energy to the neighboring zones. The opposite direction occurs when the zone produces less power than it needs to – so it has to transport energy from other zones.

Also note, that besides the major players (consumers and generators) in the network there are accumulators as well. Major consumers (like plants/factories) have their proprietary accumulators for back-up purposes, and can also use this "stockroom" resources for speculations. This partially explains the reverse flow.

Vladmir, do you mind to share that manual?:)
Sure I don't. As I found out, these are publicly available, so I'll just post links here.
Here are the NYISO manuals for market operations that our R&D guys were using. I could hardly read through these :wall

For my humble purposes I used training manuals from PJM, a larger electricity market system. They are much more comprehensible. They also have virtual tutorials, as pictorial as things can get ;)

Thanks

Many thanks. All good stuff. The ISO doc. are really useful too.:)

Each zone has its consumers (demand) and generators (supply). The price is dictated by the activity of these two guys. If the generators expect high demand, but the consumption turns to be lower, they have lower prices and transport the energy to the neighboring zones. The opposite direction occurs when the zone produces less power than it needs to - so it has to transport energy from other zones.

Also note, that besides the major players (consumers and generators) in the network there are accumulators as well. Major consumers (like plants/factories) have their proprietary accumulators for back-up purposes, and can also use this "stockroom" resources for speculations. This partially explains the reverse flow.

Sure I don't. As I found out, these are publicly available, so I'll just post links here.
Here are the NYISO manuals for market operations that our R&D guys were using. I could hardly read through these :wall

For my humble purposes I used training manuals from PJM, a larger electricity market system. They are much more comprehensible. They also have virtual tutorials, as pictorial as things can get ;)

Back