Engineering vs CS for job in Investment Banking/Trading

Hello,
So im a freshman/sophmore in college, I recently got into a top 10 engineering university and am majoring in Electrical and Computer Engineering. I have had 2 passions/interest all my life and one has been computers/coding and the other has been the stock market and finance. Somewhere I read that hedge funds and large banks like to hire engineers with a finance background but recently my uncle said they prefer CS majors and that i should switch. In order for me to switch to CS i would have complete hours at my school then internal transfer and that would mean i would waste a year. I plan to minor in finance and get a couple of internships then a MBA preferably from a top 5 school later on. So the question I am asking is : it worth it to waste a year and switch to CS with a minor in finance or should I save a year and major in EE/ECE with a minor in finance? Will it make that much of a difference? or will being ECE put me at a big disadvantage?

Last edited:
minor in finance renders almost second to useless. change that minor to cs. also engineering math seems pretty shaky. switch to applied math/stats as well

So ECE with a minor in CS seems better ... i could do switch to applied math/stats but that would also waste a year in college .. or should i do ECE with a minor in applied math?

ECE with a specialization in Software Engineering with a minor in Applied mathematics ?

that combo looks better. u in texas? make sure get some high gpa and join some finance club to get info of s&t recruiting preparation and proactively participate in recruiting and networking. u might have a shot in ur sophomore summer at a bb... some relevant part time internship in austin not gona hurt either if u can handle it... but grades definitely more important at current stage...

Yup im in Texas.. and will definitely try to join some finance clubs or some computational finance clubs and apparently the algorithm class that i have to take for Software Engineering is better than the one for CS so thats good and applied mathematics classes seem more relevant as CS minor only lets me take low programming classes and i don't think the school even lets me minor in CS . I may also get a Business Foundations Certificate or something and stay very active .

Back