• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Entering Financial Engineering Career

Hi all, hope you are all doing well and staying safe. I am a recent graduate from a Master of engineering program specialized in the field of financial engineering. I am pretty new in the field of financial engineering and would like to gain as many skills as possible during this pandemic situation. I would appreciate it if you can suggest a set of valuable skills that you or you have seen most successful financial engineers have in their pockets. I am open to studying to get new certificates and software as I am very passionate motivated in this field and won't be discouraged if I need to learn tons of new skills.

Please suggest any:
- Certification ( Online or any other forms)
- Programming Languages
- Data Visualization Softwares
- any other certification or knowledge that would help me with a boost start in my career

Please don't hesitate to drop suggestions and comments, I would appreciate every bit of your experiences.

Have wonderful and happy days

Best

I am relatively new to the financial engineering space, but if I could recommend one thing it would be the C++ courses on this site. I've taken a few programming classes and tutorials before, but the C++ for Financial Engineering course offered on Quantnet has been by far the most effective in building the skill to write executable code. It seems many others who have taken the course would say the same thing. Which programming languages do you have experience in?

Thanks @aporto for the recommendation. I have some knowledge of C++, Python, Matlab, and some SQL. Although I would love to get some certifications for those skills as well. Do you think it helps to get certifications prior to applying for jobs or other financial skills and experiences are more valuable compare to programming skills when I want to get into my first position?

Thanks @aporto for the recommendation. I have some knowledge of C++, Python, Matlab, and some SQL. Although I would love to get some certifications for those skills as well. Do you think it helps to get certifications prior to applying for jobs or other financial skills and experiences are more valuable compare to programming skills when I want to get into my first position?

Certifications and courses can definitely help in showing the concrete effort/interest in acquiring skills, though I think the real value comes from the actual skills gained from those programs. So maybe try to find courses/certs that will teach you the most, and prepare you best in applying those skills. It would also help to talk to some people in your field of interest and see what they think. This site is a great resource for that

Back