• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE estimation of 08 admission rate

will the admission rate for fall 08 drop even lower than 14 %??
personally i think the answer would be yes considering there are increasing number of people that are interested in the program.

honestly i didnt think that graduate admission to a ny college would be this competitve. Otherwise, I would have transferred to stern this fall.

We had a 80% increase in applicant number last year from 184 to 336. It was a big surprise for some of us.
The dynamic this year is different so I think it's harder to guesstimate this year. Last year, it's pretty much the perception that Baruch is a safe bet. This year, as Baruch is ever more popular, people come to term that admission to Baruch MFE is very competitive.
The side effect is that there will be people who are discouraged to apply to Baruch because it's harder to get in.

So, we will just have to wait until some time next year to see what the numbers are :)

I think everybody should apply to Baruch: those with GPA's around 4.0 and GREs around 1600 might consider applying just in case they don't get admitted to Columbia/NYU/CMU etc :) and those with GPAs around 3.0 and GREs around 1200 might consider applying just in case their profile is good in one way or another :)
And I think there will be at least 500 applicants this year. The number will stay high as long as Baruch finds jobs for 100% or near of its graduates :)

I think everybody should apply to Baruch: those with GPA's around 4.0 and GREs around 1600 might consider applying just in case they don't get admitted to Columbia/NYU/CMU

You are assuming that everyone accepted at Columbia/NYU/CMU and Baruch would not come to Baruch. We could document that is wrong :)

I cannot speculate on the Fall 2008 admission rate, which we do not really care about. What we want is to enroll the strongest calss of students possible in Fall 2008.

I cannot speculate on the Fall 2008 admission rate, which we do not really care about
The only number we do really care and work really hard to achieve is 100% placement for our graduates.
What we want is to enroll the strongest calss of students possible in Fall 2008.
A lower acceptance rate is just a byproduct of that :)

You are assuming that everyone accepted at Columbia/NYU/CMU and Baruch would not come to Baruch. We could document that is wrong :)

That is great :)
In some cases, Baruch is a better choice than Columbia/NYU/CMU.

will the admission rate for fall 08 drop even lower than 14 %??
personally i think the answer would be yes considering there are increasing number of people that are interested in the program.
The deadline for 2008 has passed and if I have to guess, I would say you are right; the acceptance rate this year would be lower than 14% of 2007 by a few hundred basis points.
honestly i didnt think that graduate admission to a ny college would be this competitve.
And it will remain competitive for years to come. A few programs will continue to have its number of applicants and popularity growing every year. I can see Baruch being one of these.
With the number of new programs being offered, some of them are much easier to get in.

Back