• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Exotic derivative valuation

I have a peculiar deal where the payoff is calculated as 6 month GBP Libor - 6 month CHF libor. My gut feel says that it cannot be a normal mathematical subtraction. an anybody throw some light one the concept?

Wouldn't this be a portfolio long a GBP Libor FRN and short a CHF Libor FRN of equal face values? I believe the time-0 price of a FRN issued now is equal to the face value. (The price obviously would change as time passes), so I think the PV of this deal should be 0 since the face value cash flows cancel each other out.

(Trying to show off my fixed income knowledge from a course I just finished...I may be WAY wrong!)

No this is the floating leg of the cash flow where payoff is 4*Reference spread where reference spread is defined as 10 year GBP swap rate - 6 month CHF Libor.

Can you provide any more details?
I am guessing this will fit in some kind of swap structure or maybe Range Accruals. Take a look at Flavell, maybe?

This is a part of a swap where in the fixed leg is simple but given above is the floating leg. Hope that makes sense.

Given that this is a some sort of swap deal, and the floating leg is 6M GBP Libor - 6M CHF Libor, you are going to have to sort several things out here, for example:

1) what is the fixed rate;
2) what is the payoff "4*Reference spread where reference spread is defined as 10 year GBP swap rate - 6 month CHF Libor";

Back