• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

facing stiff competition

Hello All,

Just joined this excellent forum, and I just wanted to say hi.

My background is in Physics, spent a little less than a year on the Street before I got hit with the dreaded J1 Physical Presence requirement (if you happen to have this experience, which I sincerely hope that you have not, you will find a sympathizing comrade in me, so let it all out!)

I'm thinking of going back to school for Masters, most probably in Finance. Since I do not hold a Chinese, Indian or French passport, I realize that I will have a tough time without the established reputation of these countries (correct me if I'm wrong)

Looking forward to many enlightening discussions with you all.

Cheers :)

Since I do not hold a Chinese, Indian or French passport, I realize that I will have a tough time

Interesting point...
Certainly I have had managers specifically ask me for more Chinese (with a complex filter), and more comment on the quality of French graduates. Indian IITs enjoy a good reputation, but the value of these is so subjective that managers vary a lot in how they weight them.

My advice in this stuff is to look forward and don't worry about the **** you can't fix.

don't worry about the **** you can't fix.

haha .. thanks for the reply dominic. i'm certainly not ready to give up on that fact alone.
just making an observation about what I was seeing in the profiles of current students at certain schools which I thought was interesting (maybe someone might want to come up with a mathematical model explaining the sociology of such demographics?:D). NYU is dominated by the French, CMU the Chinese. Cal actually has a pretty good balance. I'm ethnic Chinese myself, although a hiring manager wouldn't know it by looking at my name.

'Indian IITs enjoy a good reputation, but the value of these is so subjective that managers vary a lot in how they weight them.'
Thanks for your post... Need little elaboration on this. Not quite sure if I understand this

Back