• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Fed Ex-Chief Greenspan To Advise Deutsche Bank

Great move by Deutsche Bank. Anyone has WSJ subscription can post the whole article here ? I read the article on paper yesterday and it's really interesting.
Link Fed Ex-Chief Greenspan To Advise Deutsche Bank - WSJ.com

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has a new client for his consulting business, one that reunites him with an adviser from his central-banking days.
Deutsche Bank AG announced today that it has retained Mr. Greenspan as a senior adviser to its corporate and investment-bank unit.
The arrangement was initiated by Peter Hooper, who served on the Fed staff during Mr. Greenspan's tenure and is now chief U.S. economist for Deutsche Bank Securities.
Details of the contract weren't disclosed.
Mr. Greenspan, now 81 years old, retired in February last year after 18 years at the Fed's helm. He has spent ...

Here it is... :)

Fed Ex-Chief Greenspan
To Advise Deutsche Bank

By GREG IP
August 13, 2007; Page A2

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has a new client for his consulting business, one that reunites him with an adviser from his central-banking days.
Deutsche Bank AG announced today that it has retained Mr. Greenspan as a senior adviser to its corporate and investment-bank unit.
The arrangement was initiated by Peter Hooper, who served on the Fed staff during Mr. Greenspan's tenure and is now chief U.S. economist for Deutsche Bank Securities.

Details of the contract weren't disclosed.

Mr. Greenspan, now 81 years old, retired in February last year after 18 years at the Fed's helm. He has spent most of his time since speaking to private audiences -- appearances that commonly yield more than $100,000 -- and completing a book to be released next month.

In May, his consulting firm, Greenspan Associates, took on its first client: Pacific Investment Management Co., a unit of Allianz SE. He plans to have no more than a dozen clients and no more than one from any given industry, ruling out any additional investment-bank clients. Robert Barnett, Mr. Greenspan's lawyer, said, that "virtually every major investment-banking firm" in the world was interested in hiring him.

Mr. Greenspan will speak at conferences and attend meetings and conference calls with Deutsche Bank clients, analysts and traders -- but not with the bank's asset-management arm because of his relationship with Pimco.

Mr. Greenspan said his selection of Deutsche was "more a personal thing than most anything else," citing his relationships with management board Chairman Josef Ackermann and Mr. Hooper. "The one thing I miss about the Federal Reserve is the small groups that used to get together and talk about issues or policies or concepts, which I can't fully replicate now. Peter was an integral part of that."

Mr. Hooper joined the Fed in 1973 and rose to deputy director of international finance. In 1998, he was one of three candidates to succeed the Fed's high-profile international finance chief, Edwin Truman, along with Karen Johnson and Lewis Alexander. Mr. Greenspan and his fellow governors elevated Ms. Johnson. The next year, Mr. Hooper went to Deutsche Bank, and Mr. Alexander went to Citigroup, and is now its chief economist. Ms. Johnson is retiring this year.

Deutsche Bank has made a concerted push to join the ranks of top investment banks such as Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Morgan Stanley.

"Alan is uniquely qualified to help our clients make critical risk-management decisions," Mr. Ackermann said. He said he admires Mr. Greenspan's ability to "explain very complicated subjects and situations in simple terms."

He recalled an event in 2004 at which European Central Bank President Jean Claude Trichet told the two of them how to give short answers when asked how economic conditions are; if allowed one word, say "good," and if allowed two words, "not good." Mr. Ackermann says he then asked Mr. Greenspan, a skeptic of Europe's common currency, "his judgment on the euro so far -- in two words. His answer was: 'surprisingly good.' "

Write to Greg Ip at greg.ip@wsj.com

I want to SHOOT Greenspan.. Anyone ready to hop the wagon...

Here it is... :)
Exactly what I read yesterday. Thanks, Sunny.
He plans to have no more than a dozen clients and no more than one from any given industry, ruling out any additional investment-bank clients. Robert Barnett, Mr. Greenspan's lawyer, said, that "virtually every major investment-banking firm" in the world was interested in hiring him.

Deutsche Bank has made a concerted push to join the ranks of top investment banks such as Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Morgan Stanley.
I found the above very interesting. Deutsche got instant name boost when it got Greenspan aboard. He will bring credibility and his experience with him to Deutsche.

I know that Deutsche has hired many world leading researchers to be their consultants for the prop trading, investment banking divisions. And lot of those consultants are Germans ;)

Lot of other banks (UBS, Credit Suisse, RBS, etc) that really push to join the top and I believe Deutsche is going the right track. I say more power to Deutsche.

Did u see the movie "300" . Did u see the scene where mesenger was thrown in the well. Mr Greenspan is now becoming an irritant to the markets. He lost his sanity. If somebody will threaten my investment he will be decimated :P just like the messenger in "300". I think he should retire now. This is the right time for him to buy a property in floriday as the home prices are going down :P . Else he will not get a chance in old age homes.

Still flying for quality... I HATE GREENSPAN
AERON

Geez, Nalin !
Why so much hatred, my dear friend. You don't strike me as a violent type. Well, except for those birthday bumps that Eddie can attest otherwise ;)
I saw 300. By throwing the messenger into the well, the Spartans initiated the war. I don't know if I follow your reasonings about Mr Ex-Chairman. I don't see why he should take all the blame for whatever happens right now. Maybe you know some inside information I don't.

Even though retired, he is doing very well and very valuable as we can see from the article. In fact, I admire that he is still working at the age of 81.

I don't know if either you and I can barely walk at the age of 61, let alone 81. Maybe we both end up in some nursing home in Florida by then :D

Again, Nalin, please tell me what has Mr. Greenspan done recently that brings so much hatred to my peace-preaching, tree-hugging, Starbucks-sipping dear friend Nalin ? :-k

This guy at 80 can still move the markets.. and I hate this idea of thinking every time "Who moved my cheese"
I acknowledge his daredevil attempt to be working instead of relaxing but I dont agree with his views anymore. And from the investors point of view I dont want to make the markets behave irrational and making me sweat in the air consitioned office. :P

By the way why are you his devout follower.You got to have some reasons not based on articles singing praises. Lets dig a GREENSAPN PROJECT

He's MAKING the markets behave irrational? Fine by me. Where would be work if the markets were 100% rational?

Dr. Greenspan's Amazing Invisible Thesis

Greenspan's 1977 Ph.D. from New York University was obtained in a few months with little more rigor than a matchbook-cover art degree and that Greenspan has kept his Ph.D. thesis secret in order to protect his vaunted academic reputation.

Back