• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Forecasting financial time series or computational methods in finance?

I am interested in working in a hedge fund. I can only choose one of these 2 modules:

Computational Methods in Finance

"The purpose of this course is to (a) develop the students' computational skills, and (b) introduce a range of numerical techniques of importance to financial engineering.

The course starts with the implementation of binomial and trinomial trees. Random number generation, the fundamentals of Monte Carlo simulation and a number of related issues follow. Numerical solutions to stochastic differential equations and their implementation are considered. The course then addresses finite-difference schemes for the solution of partial differential equations arising in finance"

Forecasting Financial Time Series

"
This course will examine the techniques involved with forecasting key variables in finance, and how to incorporate model uncertainty into financial forecasts. Students will learn both the theory and the practice of forecasting in finance.

The following topics will be covered: introduction to time series analysis; Maximum Likelihood Estimation (MLE) with time series data, and MLE based model selection; Bayesian inference, posterior probabilities, and Bayesian Model Averaging; Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods; present value regressions, vector autoregressios, causality, and cointegration; asset pricing and the Generalized Method of Moments (GMM); frequentist and Bayesian information theoretic alternatives to GMM"

Which do you think hedge funds would prefer more?

(my other courses would be in corporate finance (compulsory), asset markets, risk management, financial engineering OR fixed income + credit markets, portfolio management)

I prefer the second one, although I can't figure out how they seperate "Computational Methods" from "Forecasting Series".
Maybe they just want to make it more specific?

Actually Time Series is generally a separate course at university and so is computational methods.
Answering to the topic,i will prefer Time Series course over the computational methods even though computational is also necessary.
On the other hand,i don't have a clue about what course will be helpful for you in joining a hedge fund.

Back