• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Freshman need and advice

hi guys
i hope you're fine
next year i will get my 2 years degree in Management. But i m really interested in Finance. i like doing market research , analyzing patterns .i love mathematics and programming . i m from Morocco and as you know finance there is not advanced as USA or UK. I have read many threads and magazines like efinancial to discover this domain well. but i don't know how to do it.
next year i will apply for Economics in Rennes university in France .but after that . what s the next step. Job or internship or Master? and is there other fields that can lead me to this domain .eg ( statistics. econometrics )

I posted this thread because i know that many people here are professionals in this domain and can give good advices.

thank you

What realm of finance are you interested in specifically?
i will cite it in order by their importance to me

Sales and Trading
Foreign Exchange
Risk Management
Asset Management
Ratings Agencies
Investment Consulting

Bani, read the "Careers in Financial Management" pdf that has been posted here. You should try to narrow your interests down. I made the same mistake 30 years ago (too broad a search) and it cost me.
Ken can you please explain what you mean by narrowing my interest. and what is the big mistake you have done. i really want good advice from people like you and Andy because many people .

When you go job hunting, do your initial research with a shotgun but your interviewing with a rifle. You need to have focus. The list you present is way too broad. It's like saying I'd like engineering or interior design or journalism. (Although FX is included in sales and trading.) Do your homework and ask people questions. You want to be able to say "this is what I want to do and this is exactly why I want to do it. What you'll find is that some things will sound more interesting. Figure that out early and you'll have a much, much easier time and make a better candidate. (إن شاء الله)

When you go job hunting, do your initial research with a shotgun but your interviewing with a rifle. You need to have focus. The list you present is way too broad. It's like saying I'd like engineering or interior design or journalism. (Although FX is included in sales and trading.) Do your homework and ask people questions. You want to be able to say "this is what I want to do and this is exactly why I want to do it. What you'll find is that some things will sound more interesting. Figure that out early and you'll have a much, much easier time and make a better candidate.إن شاء الله)

Thank you Ken a lot.جزاك الله خيرا

Back