• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Going to be interviewd by Gwen, really excited

If info about each program must be condensed into less than 500 words, what would you like to see on them. What kind of info would you actually PAY to see?
I think Andy's surveying the market to gather information for his new FE Program guidebook. ;)

Andy, information I would pay for must be information that's not already found on the schools'/programs' respective websites. Hence, pertinent information that I would pay to see is:

1. What current students or alumni have to say about the program. The more criticisms, the better. After all, compliments about the programs can be found all over their websites.
2. What hiring managers think about the program. Both pluses and minuses will be good.
3. Career placement. Most programs are not transparent with the career placement statistics.
(I've only seen CMU publish detailed statistics so far. Columbia quotes a 95% figure, a salary range, and the names of employers, that's it. NYU is silent on their graduates' placement statistics.)
4. Strengths and weaknesses of each program. On their websites, all the programs use superlatives to describe their faculty, their students and their curriculum. Only through careful reading can an applicant discern the differences between the programs.
(For example, CMU is traditionally strong in computer programming and requires heavy use of C++. Columbia's MSFE, MSOR, and MAFN programs are rumoured to cannibalize upon one another, allegedly resulting in a low placement rate among graduates.)

I had my interview yesterday. Questions were the same as what other forum members posted last year.
1. Where did you hear of CMU?
2. What other schools did you apply to? Which are your preferred programs?
3. What do you intend to do with the degree? (Career question)
4. Any questions for me?
Good luck!

Hey, did you have interview with Rick or Gwen?
Best of luck for everyone waiting for the result on April 2nd!!

Back