• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Going to be interviewd by Gwen, really excited

ActuallyI thought it was most likely Rick...Anyway, Gwen is nice and cheerful.
Just cross my fingers. Good luck to you all guys!

Hey dudes, those who had their interviews with CMU already, care to share the experience?

When I interviewed with Rick, the questions were specific to why Carnegie Mellon and why Financial Engineering. then you get to ask them some questions. I was not asked any technical questions. But I still messed my interview up :(

When I interviewed with Rick, the questions were specific to why Carnegie Mellon and why Financial Engineering. then you get to ask them some questions. I was not asked any technical questions. But I still messed my interview up :(
Dude, thanks for sharing. And keep the faith. I'm sure it's not as bad as you think.

Hi guys, I just sent my time schedule to mscf admission. I wonder who Gwen or Rick is, and if anyone has finished the interview, could you share the questions you had in the interview? Thank! :)

Hi guys, I just sent my time schedule to mscf admission. I wonder who Gwen or Rick is, and if anyone has finished the interview, could you share the questions you had in the interview? Thank! :)
I had my interview yesterday. Questions were the same as what other forum members posted last year.
1. Where did you hear of CMU?
2. What other schools did you apply to? Which are your preferred programs?
3. What do you intend to do with the degree? (Career question)
4. Any questions for me?
Good luck!

Good answer. I hope it scores brownie points for you ;)
I'm more interested in learning how MFE applicants find out and decide to apply to certain programs. Sort of learning about their thought process when it comes to finding and buying.

Although I haven't bought anything yet, I am analyzing the product(MFE);) through this site. It is pretty informative.

Good answer. I hope it scores brownie points for you ;)
I'm more interested in learning how MFE applicants find out and decide to apply to certain programs. Sort of learning about their thought process when it comes to finding and buying.
What I did was to do a google search on rankings, came across the QuantNet one, and applied to all the schools in the Top 10 that were on the east coast. I wanted the east coast coz I preferred to be near NYC, and I was concentrating on the top ranked programs to get more value out of the USD100k I would be spending.
I applied to all those short listed schools, and then did further research (again here on Quantnet) to find distinguishing features of each program. That helped me to come up with my own preferences. Interviewers also seem to like it when you're able to identify the advantages of their program over their competitors.

Although I haven't bought anything yet, I am analyzing the product(MFE);) through this site. It is pretty informative.
I applied to all those short listed schools, and then did further research (again here on Quantnet) to find distinguishing features of each program.
If info about each program must be condensed into less than 500 words, what would you like to see on them. What kind of info would you actually PAY to see?

I would pay attention to
1)"Brand Name", & "Alumni profile" ( to get elite group membership for various purposes. You might be an under dog at Wall Street, because you are not from xxxxx or you are not xxxx. I guess, school name might compensate all these- this doesn't mean that I am being racist here, of course I am not, Alumni profile might indicate how well the respective school prepare their students, are they just working, are they running their own show, are they sort of entrepreneurial).
2) "Course curriculum" ( in case, if I lost interest in quant job, what might be my alternative, does this curriculum prepare for me anything else other than just programming- may be through electives)
3)"Career placement" (to get started my career, which company, what position and etc)

4) Social activities and events ( not just simply for fun, who you interact (speakers from industries, and etc)

5) I may check the price tag as well.

Back