• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Goldman has posted its worst quarter since going public.

And of course...

[GS Fanboy]
Goldman still posts a profit in the face of 3 of its direct competitors getting blown up in the past oh, six months, and everything going to hell in a hand-basket.

If this is Goldman's worst, and its stock is down 50% from its 52-week high, is it alright to say that I feel very bullish about GS now?
[/GS Fanboy]

All I have to say is that it takes some mad skill and some crazy intelligence to do get more out than you put in when everyone around you is getting their clocks cleaned.

Morgan Stanley is going to publish 3rd Q tomorrow. Among the fear of collaps and doubts about IB & Brokerage, GS and MS stocks drop today.

This morning, I was standing in front of the windows of our lounge sipping my coffee, which right face Lehman headquaters, I can see clearly people sitting, chatting, working across the street. Suddenly, someone was talking beside me "are they waving their resumes to us?" ----our head of risk management. Lehman has almost the best, the most smart groups, especially Fixed Income. Did anyone of them ever warned the doom ?

Anyway, I am still optimistic about MS here :)

You work at MS? Great job getting in ^_^. How is life there?

I say all of those that are panicking are sheep. The smart have always found a way to make ends meet in bad times, and make a killing in good times =)

Anyway, I am still optimistic about MS here :)

Morgan Stanley 3rd-quarter profit falls 7 percent, but surpasses Wall Street's expectations.

The New York-based investment bank earned $1.43 billion, or $1.32 per share, compared with $1.54 billion, or $1.44 per share in the year-ago period. Thomson Reuters said analysts expected earnings of 78 cents per share.

Good job, Maggie! =D>

=D>=D>

Well, it seems GS and MS are both here to stay for a LONG time. I wonder if there are any talks of a big merger just to have a monopoly for pure investment banks =P

At tax-payers courtesy, AIG got the $85B loan to stay afloat ...... and $250MM for IBd of Lehman, Barclay certainly gets a deal as long as it can digests ;) At least save thousands of employees of Lehman, though don't know how many yet.

Finally, some good news :)

Ugh. I'm sorry, but I feel Wall Street is getting violated. First, BofA, and now Barclays taking over previously independent NY firms? Yuck, gross...

Back