• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GPA conversion and more

Heyo, new to quantnet

Physics to finance, from what I’ve read so far it seems to be a classic huh?

I’m currently doing an MSc in engineering physics, entered the program straight after a BSc in same field at the Technical University of Denmark. That’s the way it’s done here BSc -> MSc -> Phd, but I’m second guessing physics as a carrier choice for various reasons. Been reading up on quantitative finance mostly on the internet and it all sounds very interesting. But figured a summer internship in a finance/quant related job would be a good idea to gain some insight to the field. So I’m currently in the process of making a resume to apply for internships.

I noticed they seem very keen on numbers, GRE, GPA and so on. All my Danish grades are naturally on the Danish scale which looks nothing like the classic American. My GPA on the Danish 7-step scale is 10.0 which supposedly translate into A/A- average according to the Denmark-America foundation, but that’s not an official conversion table. How should I convey this on my resume? Scale goes from -3 to 12, yea, I know it’s weird..

I’ve had courses in numerical algorithms, C++ and matlab. But wouldn’t exactly describe myself as a programmer. Though I still want to convey this to the employer, is it okay to present C++ and matlab as skills to get the interview? I consider it more of a solid background to build on.

Next semester, pretty much 2/3 of all my coursework will be in scientific computing and numerical algorithms with matlab, so should be pretty sharp in that when summer comes around.

Also, i've spend a semester as an exchange student at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign during my undergrad. Amazing experience, but studying was to say it mildly not that big of a priority that semester. It’s not that my grades during that particular semester are bad, they are just not stellar, is that going to blow my chances for an interview?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Back