• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Grades in specific courses from my B.sc and future employment

Shlomi

SuperDerivatives
Hello,

My name is shlomi and i'm starting MFE at Baruch this fall.

I am finalizing my B.Sc in Electrical engineering, and I am considering improving some grades.
My question is if future employers will ask to see my transcripts from my ug studies and will look on specific courses or not?
Do you think that after I got admitted to Baruch there is a reason to improve grades on specific courses or is it pointless?

Thank you,
Shlomi

I'm not aware of any hiring manager wanting to look at your transcript. This is the job of HR people and most likely they will only go as far as verifying your degree and GPA.
When you start the Baruch program, you want to do as well as humanly possible in all the courses. There is no reason for you to want to pay more time and attention on certain courses than others.
It's pointless to worry about grades. Either you get perfect grades or you don't. My experience has been that nobody I interviewed with cared about my GPA or specific courses.

Some employers ask about GPA or degree grade/class.

You are going into a field that is highly competitive even when the market is good, so at Baruch your work rate needs to go up.

Some parts of EE are of zero relevance to your future in finance, but with all due respect you don't know what they are, one reason of course you're doing a MFE is to fill that knowledge gap.

Many years ago, I had to lead a bunch of people off into some wilderness, and as part of my training I had to choose everything needed, and I only got one pass through stores.

It was actually mildly scary, which was of course the point.

Two years from now you're going to be poking banks to see if they will hire you.
Rather than load your backpacks, your cohort of quants will hopefully have loaded their heads.

Bank work leaves little time to forage for new understanding, and quant education is expensive. I'm at a conference this month in Paris, which costs $10K + allow $ 3K for travel, hotel etc. When stuff is free grab it with both hands.

Back