• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE Dilemma

So I was an idiot and just took the practice exam and then didn't study. I got a 170V and 162Q.

As I'd still like to get into MIT program, should I go study for GMAT and take it now, then pray I get a 50Q or 51Q? Or should I just give up and cry myself to sleep.

Any advice appreciated.

I would prefer to take the GMAT, since one of my friend who got the AD of MIT program with 1200+ in paper-based GRE test and 730 in GMAT but I just got a waiting list with 1500(V700+Q800) and no available GMAT scorce.

Of course there is no absolute answer, but doing anything will always be better than doing nothing.

You should give up and cry yourself to sleep. You probably won't and will blow another couple hundreds on application/test fees and then come back in a month or so asking fairly similar questions then. But at least you can refer back to this post and say "ah, bullion said so" ;)

Even though I don't think GRE/GMAT is that important, for schools like MIT, you might want to do ur best in every aspect.

So I was an idiot and just took the practice exam and then didn't study. I got a 170V and 162Q.

As I'd still like to get into MIT program, should I go study for GMAT and take it now, then pray I get a 50Q or 51Q? Or should I just give up and cry myself to sleep.

Any advice appreciated.

Without studying, you get higher V than Q? You are more "verbally" talented, why do quant stuff?

Without studying, you get higher V than Q? You are more "verbally" talented, why do quant stuff?

Verbal was a joke. My vocabulary isn't that extensive and I don't think there was a word in either section or the experimental that I didn't know. Quant was harder than the practice exam, especially the second section (I guess maybe it is adaptive) and I completely went off-track on timing.

What am I going to do with a MA or PhD in History or Political Science? I have no interest in that nor do I think my Q score is any reflection of my "real" quantitative or analytical ability (cliche, I know).

At this point, I don't think I can schedule a GMAT appointment in time for the Round III deadline at MIT so this may all be moot. I guess the question of the hour is if MIT will ascribe some positive value to the V score? Here's to divine providence!

How did you do on AWA? It also depends how quantitative your undergrad was, your GPA...You need to be able to demonstrate that you can handle the quantitative aspects of the curriculum.

Have you considered writing the GRE again? (can you book another GRE sitting in time for Round III?)

How did you do on AWA? It also depends how quantitative your undergrad was, your GPA...You need to be able to demonstrate that you can handle the quantitative aspects of the curriculum.

Have you considered writing the GRE again? (can you book another GRE sitting in time for Round III?)

I thought my essays were good, albeit my conclusion was lackluster due to timing. I studied finance and economic theory at a top undergraduate business school. GPA was 3.6-3.7.

I thought the policy was once per calendar month (with additional limits) but now it seems that I can only take the exam only once every 60 days. Short answer: no, no retake possible.

I got an admit into MIT in round 2 with a GRE V155 and Q162, so you should manage with this score if your other factors are strong.

Back