• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE/GMAT Advice

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank everyone for this amazing forum, which I have been following for a while and gave me many precious advice.

I am writing here to ask a more personal question, I am interested in two years from now to attend a MFE and one of the requirements of the many programmes I am looking at is the GRE/GMAT. I took the GRE last year scoring 170Q and 161V, but I scored 3.5 at the AWA, I am worried that the AWA score might undermine my chances to get admitted to a MFE and I was considering taking the GMAT. Is it worth it? Do MFEs look at the AWA score or they simply skip over it? or would it be more beneficial for me doing something to improve my profile for example registering for the CFA I exam?

Great Quant score and a very good verbal. Don't worry about it.

The CFA exam would show that you're interested in Finance (investing) but I would only recommend doing so if it matches your 'story'. Are you planning on working in Asset management after the MFE? If so, do it. Either way, it won't hurt if you don't take it

Hi Rockoo, thank you for the reply. I am not really planning to work in Asset Management after the MFE, but I noticed that sometimes MFE admission teams have asked candidates to complete the CFA I level as a prerequisite in order to join the programme.

331 with a perfect score in quant is all it needed..Besides you can even get a 3 on the awa and still get into all those programs.

Back