• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE prep

Im about to go into my senior year and I am heavily looking into some kind of masters degree. Seeing as many of you have been successful getting into programs I figured you guys would have the best advice. As for background info I am a Computer Science student with a math minor. I haven't taken a standardized test in almost 6 years so I am completely unsure where to start or what to expect from the GRE.

Should I find a prep class? Is reading through a prep book sufficient? Is there a preferred time to take it for Grad school applications?

Thanks guys

Take it before you graduate while you still have free time. It'll save you a headache.
Prep is not a big deal. I prepped for a couple of weeks for verbal and a week for math and still managed to get an 800 on the math & a decent score on the verbal.

Each prep service lets you take one or two free practice tests so take those. Also the Powerprep GRE software gives you 2 free tests. Take the practice tests in near realistic conditions and time yourself to get a feel for the test. If you need a thorough review on all the math topics I recommend Magoosh, otherwise you should be fine doing a bunch of practice problems and getting used to the format and logic used in GRE questions.

Back