• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE verbal score

Hey guys,

I understand the top 10 schools have an average verbal about 160. Now I get GRE V152 and Q170, since I am also working right now, not sure if I should retake GRE to improve my verbal score. How likely the schools will reject me because of my verbal section? Thank you!

did you get any admission?
I am in the process right now but there was been threads on this topic before. A verbal from 140 to 160 would make less difference from than a quant from 167 to 169.

See:

Most people seem to say that it doesn't matter much, but if you feel that your score is on the lower end you probably want to make sure that you write a good essay and speak well in the video interviews, just to show that you can communicate well in English.

Some of the top schools are not expecting a GRE score this cycle (most are though). A decent amount of them are saying you can submit one, but if you don't it will not hinder your profile.. NYU Courant actually went one step further I believe and posted they will not be taking any GRE scores this cycle (double check this one though)

Most people seem to say that it doesn't matter much, but if you feel that your score is on the lower end you probably want to make sure that you write a good essay and speak well in the video interviews, just to show that you can communicate well in English.
That's a great idea. I just don't want me to rule me out because of this single factor.

Some of the top schools are not expecting a GRE score this cycle (most are though). A decent amount of them are saying you can submit one, but if you don't it will not hinder your profile.. NYU Courant actually went one step further I believe and posted they will not be taking any GRE scores this cycle (double check this one though)
I see. Columbia MFE consider GRE is optional, and as you said NYU is the one does not accept GRE for 2021 fall. But CMU still wants to see it, which makes me nervous.

I see. Columbia MFE consider GRE is optional, and as you said NYU is the one does not accept GRE for 2021 fall. But CMU still wants to see it, which makes me nervous.
Ultimately, if you are not a candidate from an English speaking country or have significant work/education in such a country, there might be some concerns which naturally should be addressed by TOEFL or your essays and not through your GRE. If you aren't proficient in English, those sections will likely raise more red flags.

Let's be honest here, the GRE verbal section doesn't really reflect your English skills as much as it demonstrates your grasp of obtuse verbiage. I do not think it would be fair to judge someone's ability in communication in English through their ability to memorize words or comprehend scientific journals.

If it helps, I know plenty of native English speakers to have "poor" scores on GRE verbal and it does not reflect their communication skills.

Ultimately, if you are not a candidate from an English speaking country or have significant work/education in such a country, there might be some concerns which naturally should be addressed by TOEFL or your essays and not through your GRE. If you aren't proficient in English, those sections will likely raise more red flags.

Let's be honest here, the GRE verbal section doesn't really reflect your English skills as much as it demonstrates your grasp of obtuse verbiage. I do not think it would be fair to judge someone's ability in communication in English through their ability to memorize words or comprehend scientific journals.

If it helps, I know plenty of native English speakers to have "poor" scores on GRE verbal and it does not reflect their communication skills.
Thanks man, I received a very similar answer from CMU. I get my bachelor's from Pitt and have been working at a US investment company for two years. It seems that I'm not required to take the TOEFL but I decided to pay close attention to my essay and the video. Good luck to your applications as well.

Back