• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GRE vs GMAT

hi all,

I've already taken GMAT earlier. But I read the admission requirements saying "prefer GRE to GMAT", I'm thinking if I have to take GRE?

OK, to highjack this post...

What is the community's thought on the GMAT? If I have a 770, but only a 49 quantitative, is it worth dropping the $100+ on the GRE? I already have solid grades in undergrad/grad (3.9/4.0 BS & 5.0/5.0 SM). Thanks.

I don't know what what the scale is on the GMAT, but I do know that MFE programs frown on not-perfect quant section scores.

I always wondered why they perferred the GRE to the GMAT. The GMAT quant section was considerably harder than the GRE quant section.

51 is perfect on GMAT Quant I believe. I don't think I got any wrong quant and I ended up with a 730 51q/40v

Also, the GMAT also has critical thinking verbal problems which are much more valid than the stupid GRE what word means the opposite of this one section.

books for GRE???

what books are good to use to prepare for the GRE? i know GMAT has an official guide. does GRE have an official guide too?

I have taken both and here are my thoughts:

The GRE is much more route and a lot easier in its math section. The GRE does not test advanced combinatorics and number properties as the GMAT does. Moreover, there is much more time pressure on the GMAT than on the GRE. I would highly advise you to take the GRE--some MBA programs now accept GRE under the table.

GRE Resources
GRE Prep
GRE Prep Book

GMAT Resources
Official Guide GMAT Prep
Free GMAT Prep

Strange that a quantitative focused program prefers a less rigorous quantitative test. I haven't taken the GRE, but from my understanding the GRE quant is significantly easier......as in not even close to the same level of difficulty as the GMAT quant.

Back