• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

GS developer vs Barclays Capital quant

I have an offer from GS to join them as a developer and an offer from Barclays capital to join them as a quant. I prefer to be a quant than a developer, but Goldman looks like a better place to be. Do you guys think that it's possible to make the transition from developer to quant within GS? Any advice on which offer to take?

Thanks.

1. Possible, but very very very unlikely.
2. What kind of Quant? What kind of developer? Not all "Quant" is created equal.

The Goldman name does not mean what it used to anymore.

What would be easier for him? To become a Quant at GS after being a Developer in GS or after being a Quant in Barclays??

Assuming the developer job is an IT job then take the quant job if you wanna be a quant. Don't chase prestige, at the end of the day, prestige does not mean anything. Most people outside of finance don't know the different between the two anyway. People in finance may be impressed by GS more than Barclays for like 2 seconds and thats it. So take the job that suits you rather than chasing the name and hating the job after two months.

I have an offer from GS to join them as a developer and an offer from Barclays capital to join them as a quant. I prefer to be a quant than a developer, but Goldman looks like a better place to be. Do you guys think that it's possible to make the transition from developer to quant within GS? Any advice on which offer to take?

Thanks.

I think this is an easy question, honestly. You've said above you'd prefer to be a quant than a developer. So go be a quant. Barclays is a proper global investment bank so nothing to worry about there, and frankly in some asset classes has better modeling than GS anyway. GS overall I agree is a better shop, but you don't take a job you don't want with a slightly more preferable employer over a job you do want at a perfectly respectable firm. If you really don't like Barclays then you can transition to another bank in a couple years once you have some industry skills. It would be much easier (in most cases) to move from one bank to another in the same role than internally within the same bank for totally different roles. But, really, Barclays is a fine institution and we shouldn't be talking about your exit opps before you hit the desk.

Fantastic, thanks for your opinions.

The developer role at GS is a pure IT job. The quant role at Barcap could be classified as a quant developer role, but in a pure quant team.

I did think, before posting, that the Barcap role is better, since the objective is to be a quant. It is only that GS has a strong brand, and this generates unnecessary doubts that I wouldn't have if the technology offer was from someone else.

Quite frankly, I'm yet to find an opinion that advises me to take the IT role at GS.

Quite frankly, I'm yet to find an opinion that advises me to take the IT role at GS.
Because a lot of members here are already working in finance and brandname does not matter as much to them as to people who has never worked in finance before.
GS has a reputation as working employees long hours and you will hate your life much more if you don't enjoy the work.

Back