• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Harvard CSE vs Columbia MFE vs MIT SM Operations Research

I don't mean to start a controversy but the Harvard CSE program is a joke. The curriculum is not structured towards computational finance and it is primarily taught by Lecturers and not Professors.

So would the CSE program be near useless in the quantitative finance domain? I like the subjects taught in the program, but at the same time would like to have a shot at a hedgefund/prop firm job in the future.

So would the CSE program be near useless in the quantitative finance domain? I like the subjects taught in the program, but at the same time would like to have a shot at a hedgefund/prop firm job in the future.

I honestly dont know. There could be naive employers who'd interview you since your from Harvard. But, it wont prepare you well for the jobs you want to have a "shot" for. Decide before what you want to do and then pursue a degree that teaches relevant stuff - not the other way around.

It's a computer engineering degree. Naturally, you would apply to jobs that don't require particular financial knowledge. Looking at job listings for quant analysts at the top hedge funds and prop firms, this seems completely fine. However, as moretodo says, it depends on what you're aiming for, and the MFE curriculum may or may not be relevant to the position you're headed to.

FWIW, I've narrowed it down to either Harvard or MIT, and I may make the final decision after visiting both Open Houses. Harvard's engineering may not be as capable as MIT's, but its financial prospects and recruiting arguably compensates for this.

It's a computer engineering degree. Naturally, you would apply to jobs that don't require particular financial knowledge. Looking at job listings for quant analysts at the top hedge funds and prop firms, this seems completely fine. However, as moretodo says, it depends on what you're aiming for, and the MFE curriculum may or may not be relevant to the position you're headed to.

FWIW, I've narrowed it down to either Harvard or MIT, and I may make the final decision after visiting both Open Houses. Harvard's engineering may not be as capable as MIT's, but its financial prospects and recruiting arguably compensates for this.
Hi nil,

Did you go to Harvard CSE? I was admitted by this program and I would like to hear your opinion about this program from inside.

Back