• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hedge fund or Bank ?

So I currently intern at a small hedge fund and my boss has hinted that he will have me trading by 2nd quarter next year. They are going to sponsor me for series certiication.

I also, have recently got a internship offer from a large british bank in new york with strong potential for full time position after. It is in risk management and credit portfolio management.

Should I leave the fund and take the bank?

I am in this profession for a career rather than a job.
I like trading, and seem to be very good at it(in simulation at least), but I want to do more risk management right now than trading as I want to learn more.

What are potential exit options from the fund if I was trading ? What about the bank if I was in risk management?

Just curious...

Is this large british bank a bulge? I.e Barcalys? If not, go with the hedge fund.

I am looking towards long term.

It is a BB. Or atleast I think it is. It is one of these... Barclays, HSBC, RBS, Lloyds.

I have sort of made my decision already. I am waiting to hear back from few other interviews I gave to still decide. I am leaning towards the bank as I believe in the longer term it will be more advantageous. In short term, the fund will provide me with good benefits (nice bonus), but I don't care about that right now.

I am looking towards long term.

It is a BB. Or atleast I think it is. It is one of these... Barclays, HSBC, RBS, Lloyds.

Really only Barclays of those is BB. The others are prestigious but not bulge, so they won't give you nearly the same long-term advantage as a bulge-bracket. I would actually probably stick with the fund if you liked it.

Just my 2 cents.

Back