• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Help for schools!! Fordham vs. USC

Background:
International student;
US undergrad in Economics and have been taking many math courses;
Not plan to stay in US permanently but would like to work here for couple of years.

Fordham MSQF:
1 year; business school;
classes are more about applications than theories;
more finance-related job/intern opportunities in NYC;
$3000 scholarship (nothing comparing to its expensive tuition).

USC MFin:
1.5 year; math department;
numerous amount of hard math classes but relatively less finance and programming stuff;
better reputation internationally;
no placement information (called the department and got reply saying no placement info because most of their students are international students and they go back to their home country once they graduate).

I know neither is tier1 programs in MFE field. But I'd like to know relatively, which one you think is a better choice?
Thank you sooooooooo much for your help on this.

All I can say is "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars."

Update info:

USC: It has been really hard to find an intern due to the bad economy in LA.

Fordham: One international student, who is currently studying in this program, told me that it's possible to find an intern for them but no international student gets a full-time job because of the Visa stuff.

Given your desire to stay and work for a couple years before going back to your home country, neither is a good fit. Apply to another school with better placement record or save your money.

I've asked a staff member in Fordham, and I was told that many (Sorry I don't know the exact number) students of MSQF got internship after graduation. But full-time job offer seems difficult. I don't know much about USC, but it sounds more famous internationally...

Back