Help me choose modules

• Thread starter Thread starter TheNeo
  • Start date Start date
I'll be entering my 3rd year of a BSc Maths and Stats degree at a UK university.
I've chosen some of my maths modules: Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, Theory of PDE's, Stochastic Analysis, Monte Carlo methods.

However I need some guidance choosing the stats modules. I have to choose FIVE modules out of eight from the list in the attachment.
There are two attachments; one is the screenshot of the module names and the other is a document containing the content for each module.

Obviously I am trying to select such a combination of modules that will be most useful for Quant line of work.
Thank you.

Attachments

• Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Structure of each module.pdf
    Structure of each module.pdf
    848.2 KB · Views: 25
I'm a graduate student in statistics, but never worked in finance. I have had to do a lot of self study of topics covered in typical MFEs that are not in my Stats programs. I'd suggest the following list as you'd differentiate yourself from the 'typical' math and stats major.

1) Applied Stochastic Processes - most stats programs don't even offer this, or requires approval as an elective
2) Intro to Math Fin. - Absolutely needed
3) Programming for data science - not a differentiator, but the quants I've talked to always suggest programming
4) Bayesian Stats - As a pre-req for the next
5) Bayesian Forecasting - ARIMA and other time series data analysis, not all stats programs require time series.

And next, ask yourself these questions as they will help you decide on course work.

1) Do you plan on getting your masters, MFE, of even PhD?
2) What type of Quant do you want to be? risk, research, desk, trading, etc.
3) What are you good at, or what do you enjoy?

Again, these are my opinions from a narrow point of view, so do consider that when reading. I'd love to hear what some of the MFE grads and old timers have to say about this.

Back