• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Help! NYU MFE vs Columbia MAFN vs Chicago FinMath

Please Select One

• NYU MFE w/ 7K Scholarship

• Columbia MAFN

• UChicago FinMath w/ 60% Scholarship

Results are only viewable after voting.

NYY

Hi Everyone,
I currently have admits from NYU with a 7k scholarship, Columbia MAFN, and UChicago FinMath with a 60% scholarship. I am stuck between all three at the moment as each have their pros and cons. Ideally I want to work in a quant portfolio/asset management role following completion of the program. I have also lived my whole life in the NY/NJ area so leaving to Chicago is definitely a concern of mine. On top of that, I currently work full time in the NY/NJ area and am appealed by Columbia MAFN's ability to complete the program part-time. Additionally, the lack of safety in the Chicago neighborhoods is an additional concern I have. I would greatly appreciate anyone's feedback as I have to make a decision by March 30. Thank you !

I would go for columbia or NYU considering the location and their rank.

Those who selected UChicago, do you mind providing a bit of clarity or reasoning behind your selection.

Hi Everyone,
I currently have admits from NYU with a 7k scholarship, Columbia MAFN, and UChicago FinMath with a 60% scholarship. I am stuck between all three at the moment as each have their pros and cons. Ideally I want to work in a quant portfolio/asset management role following completion of the program. I have also lived my whole life in the NY/NJ area so leaving to Chicago is definitely a concern of mine. On top of that, I currently work full time in the NY/NJ area and am appealed by Columbia MAFN's ability to complete the program part-time. Additionally, the lack of safety in the Chicago neighborhoods is an additional concern I have. I would greatly appreciate anyone's feedback as I have to make a decision by March 30. Thank you !
I am facing exactly the same situation as you. Personally, I would prefer Uchicago, because I think its courses are more practical and have better career service. But since I am an international student and I am really unfamilar with America, the safty issue may become my biggest concern. I have heard that but not sure whether Americans truly feel Uchicago is in a realtively dangerous area or not. If that's true, as an international student, I may finally choose MAFN.

I am facing exactly the same situation as you. Personally, I would prefer Uchicago, because I think its courses are more practical and have better career service. But since I am an international student and I am really unfamilar with America, the safty issue may become my biggest concern. I have heard that but not sure whether Americans truly feel Uchicago is in a realtively dangerous area or not. If that's true, as an international student, I may finally choose MAFN.
Bro wake up, Columbia is almost just as bad as Chicago, and yes both of them are dangerous. You might just be better off in NYU where it's downtown and you can live midtown east or LIC or NJ.

See I was concerned about the area of Chicago too, but then I realized there are thousands of kids who go to this school and live off campus at the same time. There are plenty of apartment complexes that are primarily with UChicago students and the school knows. Plus Columbia is technically in Harlem too lol. My debate is if I wanna quit my job and leave my friends and family to Chicago. No doubt the curriculum at both schools are both extensive and the job prospects are similar.

See I was concerned about the area of Chicago too, but then I realized there are thousands of kids who go to this school and live off campus at the same time. There are plenty of apartment complexes that are primarily with UChicago students and the school knows. Plus Columbia is technically in Harlem too lol. My debate is if I wanna quit my job and leave my friends and family to Chicago. No doubt the curriculum at both schools are both extensive and the job prospects are similar.
If you remember the tragic incident last year of a UChi PhD student being shot at the parking lot of his apartment, you would see that being inside the "school community" doesn't necessarily mean that you are safe. He lived in a high-end apartment building which even had a security guard at the front door (who was also injured). You were right about the Harlem part though.

If you remember the tragic incident last year of a UChi PhD student being shot at the parking lot of his apartment, you would see that being inside the "school community" doesn't necessarily mean that you are safe. He lived in a high-end apartment building which even had a security guard at the front door (who was also injured). You were right about the Harlem part though.
A Columbia student was stabbed to death a couple years ago as well. An NYU student was grazed by a ricocheted bullet last year. Shit happens. Can’t live your life in fear.

A Columbia student was stabbed to death a couple years ago as well. An NYU student was grazed by a ricocheted bullet last year. Shit happens. Can’t live your life in fear.
As a Chinese who lived in Chicago for four years and has been living in Berkeley (partially famous for homeless people), I personally get used to the environment and would never think about safety as a major factor in choosing programs. But I do see almost everyone else takes it as an important factor because these kinds of shit never happen in our country. So please maybe understand people if they have such a mentality.

Back