Help with path to MFE, pre-MFE at Baruch

STH

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be super formal here since this is a forum site but I need some help and advice.

I'm an undergraduate with an accounting degree, and I recently graduated. However, I really don't know if that was the best choice, and changed my focus to obtaining an MFE. However, there's a few problems with this. For one, an undergraduate degree in accounting doesn't have a lot of math classes or math foundation behind it, and I don't want to spend another 4 years in college chasing after that.

The MFE at Baruch has a bunch of pre-requisites which involve
  • Calculus (two semesters)
  • Probability (one semester)
  • Linear Algebra (one semester)
  • C++ (one semester or certificate)
  • Finance (one semester, or relevant work experience)
Now some of these I already satisfy, like Finance and Linear Algebra, but not the rest, especially calculus. So, I saw the Pre-MFE course that was offered at Baruch and tried to apply to that to satisfy them, but the Pre-MFE program has it's own pre-requisites, requiring me to take previous math classes. I don't have a problem with this per say, but it would take such a long amount of time that I don't think I'd be able to apply for the final MFE program deadline on April.

Please give me some advice. What should I do? I'm currently trying to dig myself out of a hole but feel that I have no way out without help. I'm willing to put in the time and effort and push myself harder than I have before, but I need the opportunity. I don't want to waste too much time going to classes again and want to accelerate the process somehow. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help me.

Last edited:
You just discover MFE degree and it appears you are missing a few requirements. Most people here will leave about a year or more to prepare.
You can take the calculus courses at your local community college and take the C++ course here.
It seems daunting but you are not alone. You will get there eventually. You don’t need to wait another 4 years.
There are a few people here are currently going through the same plan. Fall 2026 application cycle will be here soon.
Take a look at @grxthy posts where he lays out his plan.

You just discover MFE degree and it appears you are missing a few requirements. Most people here will leave about a year or more to prepare.
You can take the calculus courses at your local community college and take the C++ course here.
It seems daunting but you are not alone. You will get there eventually. You don’t need to wait another 4 years.
There are a few people here are currently going through the same plan. Fall 2026 application cycle will be here soon.
Take a look at @grxthy posts where he lays out his plan.
I'm willing to put in the effort and time to get those pre-requisites by April 1st, the final deadline for Baruch's MFE application. I took a look at grxthy's posts, and I can respect his plan. Currently, I'm unemployed so I think I could put in more time for the preparations but I don't know if I would be a satisfactory candidate to be admitted into the MFE program. If I were to be accepted to the Pre-MFE program and acquire certificates with distinctions, my chances of being admitted would increase drastically compared to now, but I don't see how I'm supposed to do that without delaying the start of the MFE program to Fall 2026. It should be at least possible to do so much sooner in 2025. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I have nothing better to do.

I apologize if this comes off as inappropriate somehow, because I'm trying to just somehow do everything quickly and appearing unrealistic in the process. I would probably follow the plan grxthy would have if I had work, but seeing as I don't, I'm trying to find a faster way and make the best use of the time I have. If you have any other suggestions as to how I could seem much more appealing to Baruch's program by April 1st, please let me know. I will take the community college idea into account just to get the courses done.

Back
Top Bottom