• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE 2024 Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College

dstefan

Baruch MFE Director
The Financial Engineering Program at Baruch College offers a Pre-MFE Program for people interested in pursuing graduate studies in financial engineering, as well as for finance practitioners interested in studying the mathematical fundamentals behind financial models.

All the Pre-MFE seminars will be offered online, via Zoom. The times are 7-11pm New York time; three-hour lecture followed by a one hour review session.

There is no need to be physically located in New York to take these seminars. Last year, our Pre-MFE students came from Asia, Europe, North America, and South America.

Registration is now open and enrollment in each seminar is limited to 40 students.

A Pre-MFE Information Session will take place on November 30, 9pm New York time. Registration at
Welcome! You are invited to join a meeting: Pre-MFE Information Session. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the meeting.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Spring 2024
Pre-MFE online seminars
(The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College):
- Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering (January 29 - March 25, 2024; on-line, syllabus attached)
- Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications (January 30 - March 26, 2024; on-line, syllabus attached)
- Probability Theory for Financial Applications (February 1 - March 28, 2024; on-line, syllabus attached)

Enrollment in each seminar is limited to 40 people.

Tuition: $1,650 per seminar ($1,450 if registering before December 20)

Feedback from Pre-MFE seminars participants in previous years can be found at http://mfe.baruch.cuny.edu/pre-mfe-seminars-feedback/

Registration Process: The seminars are offered in the evenings on an eight session schedule, each session being four hours long: 7-10pm Lecture, 10-11pm Review Session

To apply for enrollment, send an email to baruch.mfe@baruch.cuny.edu with the following documents:
- a current version of your resume
- a one page statement detailing your career and educational goals, as well as how the Pre-MFE Program seminars align with those goals
- indicate the seminar(s) for which you intend to register

Pre-MFE Seminars:

Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
Dates: January 29 - March 25, 2024
Instructor: Dan Stefanica, Baruch MFE Program Director

Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications
Dates: January 30 - March 26, 2024
Instructor: Rados Radoicic, Baruch MFE Program Faculty

Probability Theory for Financial Engineering
Dates: February 1 - March 28, 2024
Instructor: Elena Kosygina, Baruch MFE Program Faculty

The syllabi for the first two seminars are attached.

More information can be found at The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College

Attachments

• pre-mfe-nla-feb2024-syllabus.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 81
  • pre-mfe-ac_feb2024-syllabus.pdf
    42.8 KB · Views: 53
  • pre-mfe-prob-feb2024-syllabus.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Hi Mr. Stefanica, I wanted to register for one of NLA or the Probability pre-MFE course.

Is it okay if I declare my interest in both when I send the email and if I get a seat in both the courses, can I back out of one later?

Hi Mr. Stefanica, I wanted to register for one of NLA or the Probability pre-MFE course.

Is it okay if I declare my interest in both when I send the email and if I get a seat in both the courses, can I back out of one later?
When you apply, let us know that you want to take one (not both) seminars and ask for our opinion on which seminar would be most beneficial for you to take.

A Pre-MFE Information Session will take place on November 30, 9pm New York time. Registration at
Welcome! You are invited to join a meeting: Pre-MFE Information Session. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the meeting.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

An Information Session for the Baruch Pre-MFE Program will take place on November 30, 9pm New York time. Instructors of the Spring 2024 Pre-MFE seminars and current Baruch MFE students who took Pre-MFE seminars last yar will answer questions and provide further information on all of our programs.

Register at

All the Pre-MFE seminars will be offered online, via Zoom. The times are 7-11pm New York time; three-hour lecture followed by a one hour review session.

There is no need to be physically located in New York to take these seminars. Last year, our Pre-MFE students came from Asia, Europe, North America, and South America.

Registration is now open and enrollment in each seminar is limited to 40 students.

Pre-MFE Program:
The Pre-MFE Program at Baruch College - Baruch MFE Program

Hi, Mr. Stefanica. I wonder if I complete one seminar without distinction, will it be a deduction for Baruch MFE application? These seminars are all very challenging.

Completing the seminars is an achievement in itself, so it increases the strength of your application. Good luck!

Hey @dstefan, I have already taken pre-program courses at some other institute. Do you recommend applying to the MFE pre-program for MFE 2025 at Baruch? Also, is there only one iteration of the pre-program course from Jan to March, or is there an MFE pre-program this year as well for MFE'25? Right now, I can only see the spring MFE pre-program and can't see any fall one to enroll into.

Hey @dstefan, I have already taken pre-program courses at some other institute. Do you recommend applying to the MFE pre-program for MFE 2025 at Baruch? Also, is there only one iteration of the pre-program course from Jan to March, or is there an MFE pre-program this year as well for MFE'25? Right now, I can only see the spring MFE pre-program and can't see any fall one to enroll into.

Taking the Pre-MFE seminars are not a requirement for admission. That said, the material is taught with multiple financial applications and includes niche topics which are not covered in regular courses but have financial applications. Take a look at the syllabi and decide whether you would benefit from taking them.

We will offer the seminars on a similar schedule as this year:

October - December 2024:
- Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications
- Probability Theory for Financial Applications

February - March 2025
- Numerical Linear Algebra for Financial Engineering
- Advanced Calculus with Financial Engineering Applications
- Probability Theory for Financial Applications

Good luck!

Hey sure, provided I want to take up the courses. Can I take the courses in October-December 2024 and then apply or will it be too late ?
Also when will the registration for the October-December courses start.

@dstefan
Hey sure, provided I want to take up the courses. Can I take the courses in October-December 2024 and then apply or will it be too late?Also when will the registration for the October-December courses start ?

@dstefan
Hey sure, provided I want to take up the courses. Can I take the courses in October-December 2024 and then apply or will it be too late?Also when will the registration for the October-December courses start ?

You can take the seminars in October-December 2024 and apply for Fall 2025 admission beginning in Round 2 or later. The registration will open in late August.

Back