• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Hitting Time on a double barrier

Wt stops when it hits a<0 or b>0
Is there a formula to determin P(Wt=a, t<T) and P(Wt=b, t<T)?
Any help would be appreciated

Yes, this is a very basic quant interview question.

The formula is trivial, but a proof is a bit nontrivial.

Hint: W is a Martingale.

The probability is of course zero. I assume that you are interested in barriers, then you may be looking for
( P(Y<H)\ , \qquad Y=min_{t\in[0,T]}[W_t]\ ,\qquad H\in \mathbb{R})
or
( P(Y<H|W_0 = \omega_0))
or even
( P(Y<H|W_T=\omega,W_0 = \omega_0)\ .)
Look at Musiela and Rutkowsy Appendix B4 (pag 579) it may be helpful.

I didn't read his question carefully. I thought quotes was asking P(Wt=a) where t is the stopping time.

quotes: What are t and T. Is t the stopping time? Are you then asking what P(Wt=a and t < T) for some arbitrary T?

Let me clarify the symbols a little bit.
The Process(t,W(t)) stops at
(Ta, a)
(Tb, b)
or (T,W(T))

for the first two occasions, W determines the stop, and for the last, t determines the stop

The question is:

1) Prob(0=<Ta<u<=T)
2) Prob(0=<Tb<u<=T)
3) Prob( a=<W(T)<=u, u∈[a,b])

Of course, differentiate them with the variable u we can generate probability density functions for random variable Ta, Tb & W(T).
I am particularly interested in problem 3, for the first two can be solved by this problem 3 alone.

Would the probability in case 3 be 1? since by definition, T is a stopping time when the BM hits either a or b, hence W(T) is either a or b, given T, P(W(T) hits a or b) = 1.

Probability of W(t), W(0) = 0, hitting a before b is b/(a+b) and a/(a+b) is a probability of hitting b before a; a and b are positive values.

Would the probability in case 3 be 1? since by definition, T is a stopping time when the BM hits either a or b, hence W(T) is either a or b, given T, P(W(T) hits a or b) = 1.

No, a<W(T)<b and W(t) before W(T) in its path cannot hit either a or b.

T is forced stopping time. You can interpret it as Game Over Time - forget about Wt continuing or stopping at barrier a or b, now at time T it stops at whichever value.

Let me clarify the symbols a little bit.
The Process(t,W(t)) stops at
(Ta, a)
(Tb, b)
or (T,W(T))

for the first two occasions, W determines the stop, and for the last, t determines the stop

The question is:

1) Prob(0=<Ta<u<=T)
2) Prob(0=<Tb<u<=T)
3) Prob( a=<W(T)<=u, u∈[a,b])

Of course, differentiate them with the variable u we can generate probability density functions for random variable Ta, Tb & W(T).
I am particularly interested in problem 3, for the first two can be solved by this problem 3 alone.

Your notice is confusing (what is u?). Perhaps you are asking the following interesting question?

Let Ta = min{t:W(t)=a} and Tb = min{t:W(t)=b} be the hitting times at a and b.

What is P[Ta <= T & Tb <= T], i.e. what is the probability of hitting both barriers in the time interval [0,T]?

Okay, suppose you are observing a ball running along the time horizon before a right bound T.
However it must stays between the line y=a and y=b, once it touches either line, it is finished and no longer runs.
_________y=b__________
O O
0- - - - O- - - - - - - >- - - - - -- -T
O
_________y=a__________

Then we have three senarios:
1) it ends at (t,a) , in which stopping time t is undetermined
2) it ends at (t,b), in which stopping time t is undetermined
3) Luckily it makes to the end and at (T,w), in which the ending position w is undetermined

O stands for the ball running. initial spaces are cut off so you may not see the trajectory of O clearly, but the O does a random walk verticly and a straight line movement horizontally.

I am not sure but you may find this book useful: Stochastic Optimization in Continuous Time by F.R. Chang
chapter 6: 6 Boundaries and Absorbing Barriers

Okay, suppose you are observing a ball running along the time horizon before a right bound T.
However it must stays between the line y=a and y=b, once it touches either line, it is finished and no longer runs.
_________y=b__________
O O
0- - - - O- - - - - - - >- - - - - -- -T
O
_________y=a__________

Then we have three senarios:
1) it ends at (t,a) , in which stopping time t is undetermined
2) it ends at (t,b), in which stopping time t is undetermined
3) Luckily it makes to the end and at (T,w), in which the ending position w is undetermined

Okay, its clear now, but its better to use correct mathematical notation/definitions :)

I defined two stopping times above, the first time BM hits a and b:
Ta = min{t:W(t)=a} Tb = min{t:W(t)=b}

There are three possible mutually exclusive events:

E1 = {Ta < min(Tb, T)} (a is hit before b and before time T)
E2 = {Tb < min(Ta, T)} (b is hit before a and before time T)
E3 = {T <= min(Ta, Tb)} (neither a nor b is hit before time T)

P[E1] + P[E2] + P[E3] = 1

I assume you are asking about P[E1], P[E2] and P[E3]?

P[Ta < T] and P[Tb < T] follow from the reflection principle (a standard quant interview question). Thus P[E3] follows from my question about about the probability of hitting both a and b before time T:

P[E3] = 1 - P[Ta < T or Tb < T] = 1 - P[Ta < T] - P[Tb < T] + P[Ta < T and Tb < T].

I'll post this for the special case b = -a later.

I am not sure but you may find this book useful: Stochastic Optimization in Continuous Time by F.R. Chang
chapter 6: 6 Boundaries and Absorbing Barriers

Thank you.

Okay, its clear now, but its better to use correct mathematical notation/definitions :)

I defined two stopping times above, the first time BM hits a and b:
Ta = min{t:W(t)=a} Tb = min{t:W(t)=b}

There are three possible mutually exclusive events:

E1 = {Ta < min(Tb, T)} (a is hit before b and before time T)
E2 = {Tb < min(Ta, T)} (b is hit before a and before time T)
E3 = {T <= min(Ta, Tb)} (neither a nor b is hit before time T)

P[E1] + P[E2] + P[E3] = 1

I assume you are asking about P[E1], P[E2] and P[E3]?

P[Ta < T] and P[Tb < T] follow from the reflection principle (a standard quant interview question). Thus P[E3] follows from my question about about the probability of hitting both a and b before time T:

P[E3] = 1 - P[Ta < T or Tb < T] = 1 - P[Ta < T] - P[Tb < T] + P[Ta < T and Tb < T].

I'll post this for the special case b = -a later.

Thanks for your notation, but I have seen the formula in infinite sum.

Back