• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Housing info for international students

maxrum said:
Sangfroid said:
Also, any idea how much it would cost to take a cab from JFk to Elmhurst?

They have a flat rate $45 if I'm correct. This is for yellow cab. There are a lot of other people proposing to give you a ride at JFK, but you'd better stay with yellow cabs. It's safer and cheaper.

You might be able to save even more if you take the AirTrain to Jamaica station (about $5, I think), then from there take the subway to Elmhurst ($2)...you will cost you under $10. Might be abit inconvenient though.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

I live very close to that community; so, I know it very well.

It's a large Chinese community.

Banks
-----------
3 HSBC's clustered in the same area
1 Citibank
China Trust
Asia Bank
North Fork
Chase

Subway
-----------------------
Grand Ave/Newtown
R or V trains

Supermarket (All Chinese)
------------------------------
Kam Lun
Hong Kong Supermarket
New York Supermarket

Tons of Chinese restaurants

Department Stores
----------------------
Target
Best Buy
Macy's
JC Penney
and alot of others in the mall

maxrum said:
Sangfroid said:
My landlord just raised the rent by 50, and I have not even moved in :( ! Is inflation bad in NY or are they citing it as an excuse to raise prices?
It's a very strange landlord. Something is not right there. I never heard of raising rent by 50%.
Max, she meant the raise is $50, not 50%, which is a crazy case. Still, once you signed a contract, you can't just raise it. And I think Sangfroid mentioned some time ago that she signed the contract. So you can even bring this to court if you feel like.
maxrum said:
Every year I fight with my landlord to not rise my rent and we are talking about 3%-7% raise. 50% is rip off.
If you live in rent-controlled building, your rent is regulated by the NYC Rent Guidelines board and they just passed an increase of rent for rent-controlled tenants. The board voted, 5 to 4, to allow increases of 7.25 percent on two-year leases and 4.25 percent on one-year leases. For tenants who pay for their own heat, the allowable increases are 6.75 percent and 3.75 percent. The increases, the highest since 2003, apply to leases renewed between Oct. 1, 2006, and Sept. 30, 2007.
maxrum said:
Unfortunately I don't know Queens, so I cannot answer on your first question. I think Andy should know better that area. When are you coming, by the way?
Max, when did I become Queens resident expert ? :D I know diddy about the area and I'm looking into areas in Queens where I can move to in the future. Chris, Yan, Bridgett, Jimmy, Frank know those areas well.

Andy said:
Max, when did I become Queens resident expert ? :D I know diddy about the area and I'm looking into areas in Queens where I can move to in the future. Chris, Yan, Bridgett, Jimmy, Frank know those areas well.

I know that you live in the Bronx, but it seems you know everything ;) So I just guessed :)

Andy said:
Chris, Yan, Bridgett, Jimmy, Frank know those areas well.

Ok, I guess it's time for me to jump in to provide whatever I know.
Sangfroid- I live in Queens and it takes me 30 minutes to commute to work in midtown. Most of my activities take place in Manhattan and I don't know the areas in Queens too well besides the basics. But if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask me and if I don't know I can find it out for you.

Also, here is a BIG hint for you -- Yan is THE shopping expert in Queens, although she lives in New Jersey. She has just done a shopping showcase for me in Flushing, and it was awesome. ;-)

=D> Thanks so much for your information.

Everyone asked how I was managing my pre-departures, not knowing a soul in NY. I said just fine. They were amazed that I could sort everything from here.

Verdict: I told them that I am going to the friendliest FM program and not necessarily the easiest of programs.

Cheers and see you all in NY. :D

Max: I will be arriving on the 31st July in the morning at about 6.40am. Might have some problems if I get held up at customs, since my housemate will want to leave at 9am for work.

Any great ideas on how best to get the keys from her and not be stuck at the door-step with 71kg worth of baggage and not forgetting a massive jetlag???? :shock:

Sangfroid said:
=D>
Any great ideas on how best to get the keys from her and not be stuck at the door-step with 71kg worth of baggage and not forgetting a massive jetlag???? :shock:

If the building that you are renting has a doorman/security guard, it's perfect. You can ask your roommate to leave the keys there. Short of that I'm not sure if there's a safer alternative. Maybe you can ask her to hide the keys somewhere and tell you where they are? :)

Sangfroid said:
Verdict: I told them that I am going to the friendliest FM program and not necessarily the easiest of programs.
Guilty on both charges :)
You are the receipient of the friendliest part, I'm the receipient of the not-so-easiest part :- (ask anyone taking refresher and they will tell you)
Sangfroid said:
Max: I will be arriving on the 31st July in the morning at about 6.40am. Might have some problems if I get held up at customs, since my housemate will want to leave at 9am for work.
Hadn't you notified your landlord of your arrival well in advance? If so, you could have arranged something like dropping off the key somewhere.
Sangfroid said:
If the schedule or key issue can't be worked out by then, your choice would be to take a nap at the airport until your landlord got home. Rest is all you need because you would have to start going to Baruch after a day or two.

Sangfroid said:

Wow, it's less than a week left! Are you excieted? Are you planning to take Probability refresher?

Send me an email (I gave you mine in private message, because if I post it here, spammers will send me more junk mail :) ). If you need any help I will give you my cell phone number. I'm going to work on Monday, but Tuesday I'm off and can show you the city if you have nothing to do.

Are you excieted?

Send me an email (I gave you mine in private message, because if I post it here, spammers will send me more junk mail :) ). If you need any help I will give you my cell phone number. I'm going to work on Monday, but Tuesday I'm off and can show you the city if you have nothing to do.

Not really. I have been laden with a lot of work during these last days, and somehow my senses have been dulled considerably.

Pragmatism often reigns in reality. Though I would love to resign earlier and take in for the seemingly last time: white sands, warmth, home etc., exigencies of life sometimes does not permit one this option. That said, replies to my distress call have rejuvenated my spirit, and in a few days time I shall embark on my 2nd longest flight (20hrs) and begin my next chapter. I am also glad to inform you that my housemate has agreed to wait till about 11am.

Alright, off with the bull-crap. Max, delighted that you can take some time off to show me around the city, and I do believe that the orientation and registration for graduate students starts on the 1st Aug, see the below message:

Orientation and registration for new graduate students in the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences will be held on Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at 3:30 p.m. in the Vertical Campus, 55 Lexington Avenue (at 24th Street), Room 14-250. Registration will take place following a brief advisement session, when faculty advisors from each program will be present, along with our office staff, to assist you.

Please be sure to file your immunization documentation prior to August 1st in the Admissions Office. You will not be allowed to register without it.

On the evening of August 1st, the Office of the Bursar will be open until 6:00 p.m. for you to pay your tuition. If you are unable or choose not to pay at that time, please keep in mind that you will have only five business days to pay your tuition or enter into a payment plan.

We will be serving light refreshments during orientation and advisement. Once you have registered for classes, join us for wine and cheese back in room 14-250, where you will be able to meet and network with current students, faculty, and alumni. Please call me, Cathy Levkulic, Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies, to confirm your atten­dance at the event. Our office number is 646-312-4490.

I suppose I would have to get myself a metrocard and make a trip to Baruch on the 31st itself? Also, my bank draft would not be cleared by then, and I have absolutely no idea how long I would have to wait. Wonder if I can ask for an extension of my tuition payment.

Cheers.

Sangfroid said:
Alright, off with the bull-crap. Max, delighted that you can take some time off to show me around the city, and I do believe that the orientation and registration for graduate students starts on the 1st Aug

As I found out today, we are going have first class in Probability on Monday, and than registration on Tuesday. I'm going to be off both days in this case and can help you getting around. Email me if you need any help or have any questions.

Wasn't Probability to start on Tuesday? :o

Sangfroid said:
Wasn't Probability to start on Tuesday? :o
It has been adjusted to accommodate the Orientation on Tues. If you are registered for Probability refresher, you should have received the email from Prof. Stefanica. It will be announced in the Probability forum in due time. Contact Max via PM for further info.

For the missing members of the 2006 incoming class. If you want to move closer to Baruch, it's your chance.

Small room

9' x 18' room available in beautiful, Astoria townhouse with CUNY professor and CUNY graduate student. Modern kitchen and bath, hardwood floors, 4 minutes to subway, 30 minutes to GC, door to door. Males only please. $ 650 Utilities $25-30/ month. (Available last week of August).

Big room

Enormous 14' x 17' room available in beautiful, Astoria townhouse with CUNY professor and CUNY graduate student. Modern kitchen and bath, hardwood floors, 4 minutes to subway, 30 minutes to GC, door to door. Males only please. $900. Utilities $25-30/ month. (Available last week of August)
Contact Lucio: lprado@bmcc.cuny.edu

Any traffic search web?

Hi all,

I'm looking for house right now. I wonder if there is any traffic search engine for NY? I input start and end address, then the public transportation route will be provided.

I'm looking into Queens area, besides Elmhurst, is flushing, college point, Jamacia, etc convenient?

Expecting any reply. Millions thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Yiping

Regarding the neighborhoods you're asking about

Hi Yiping,

I lived in Queens for several years. Of the neighborhoods you mention, Elmhurst is the most convenient to the city. Not only is it the closest, but depending on where you are, you may be able to access two subway corriders (both E/F/G/V and 7), which is handy if one of the lines is undergoing construction. A caution: large parts of Elmhurst are far from the subway line, so make sure you know the address of the place you're checking out. That makes a big difference in housing prices.

Both Flushing and Jamaica are a bit further away (e.g. 30+ minutes to mid-town MH).

College Point has no subway connection, no LIRR connection, etc. IMHO if you live in College point and don't have a car, you might as well be living on Mars.

Joe

Incoming students could do what I did when I came to NYC. Pack one small duffel bag two hours before you leave and have no job, or apartment when you arrive. It makes for a really interesting two weeks before you establish yourself. At least for me it did.. :)

Hi all,

I'm looking for house right now. I wonder if there is any traffic search engine for NY? I input start and end address, then the public transportation route will be provided.

I'm looking into Queens area, besides Elmhurst, is flushing, college point, Jamacia, etc convenient?

Expecting any reply. Millions thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Yiping

Certain parts of Elmhurst can be great - convient for one to get around and get to Manhattan and safe enough. So, be careful when selecting a spot in Elmhurst area. Besides Elmhurst, I also recommand areas like Woodside and Sunnyside, which both are in Queens as well. In my humble opinion, Flushing and College Point would be just a little bit too far away from Manhattan. And... I personally just don't feel too good about Jamaica. I don't see myself living in Jamaica anyway, but it's might just because I don't know anything about it. Hope this helps and let me know if you have more questions.

Back