• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How can I prepare for quant and MFE

Firstly, good morning, good afternoon or good night to everyone.

I will start my degree in Data Science (or mathematics, I haven't decided yet. I'm accepting suggestions) at Universidad Bueno Aires next year.

I would like to ask for advice on what to study to apply for a summer job in quant (I looked at the guide on the website, but they are disjointed books so I don't know which order to follow) and for tips on what I can do to stand out during these 5 years.

I have 1 year and 3 months to study until I apply for the summer job.

My mathematical base is very good (before deciding to go to UBA I studied for the ITA which is one of the most difficult exams in the world)

Quant job is not about math, but about financial engineering. Your product is never a math paper, but typically some software, or technical math reports, in the case of one specific quant job.

To make a difference and impression as an intern, you need to have tools to deliver something in just a few months. So yes, you need to learn Python and C++, basic language structures and "standard library" for C++ and its equivalent for Python, plus numpy/pandas at least. ML stuff will only be relevant for if you intern with an ML quant team, which are not too many, except for PM quants on the buy side.

More important than merely knowing a language is actual ability to program, to see patterns in problems so a to map them on algos. Practice on something like

These are also very similar to what is used during the interviews.

Learning time series analysis and ganerak stats may be useful, as this an easy job for an intern is to do something risk-related, where TSA is necessary.

Most importantly, you will really shine if you understand basics of finance and financial instruments. Not in the abstract sense, but how they really work in reality. Equity, FX, rates, credit as asset classes. You won't be expected to known models inside out, but knowing instruments will surely help.

For that, John Hull's book is a good start, or Wilmott, if you want a more mathematical approach.

To learn more about the realities of the quant profession, consider taking

Quantitative Analyst, Developer, Strat: The Profession

There is a special price for students.

Last edited:
Back