• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How 'smart' do I realistically need to be?

I consider myself to be a 'average' high achiever. I got all As in high school, took many Aps, and 35 on ACT. However, that was all through hard work and I am not a mathematical 'genius' who is innately smart. Hence, I was wondering if I have what it takes to be successful in quant through hard work or if everyone successful in quant is a pure genius

You just have to be good enough to get into a good master program, do well in interviews and get a job.
To look at the real world data, go to the Tracker and see the profiles of people who get accepted into the top MFE programs to see how you fare. Those are the profiles you compete with.
It's good to be a pure genius but it's not a requirement to have a successful career. Brain power is not the only thing that matters. Soft skills are just as important.

Back