• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to enhance profile, if you are not pursuing a Finance UG degree.

• Thread starter Thread starter sidrex
  • Start date Start date
Hello everyone, I am currently pursuing my Bachelors in Computer engineering from University of Mumbai.
I like math and programming. Even my quantitative skills are extraordinary. I will finish my undergraduate degree in 2017. I take MOOC's and read books, newspapers to gain knowledge of finance because there is a lot of competition and for entering in finance industry without a background in same is difficult. So, can anyone suggest me what all activities to be done or courses should be taken to enhance my resume and profile so that I will have an upperhand while applying for a quant or financial analyst job just after my degree.

Internship or part-time job in financial industry will be big plus. Join and be active in finance club or investment club. Come up with your own project which implement your CS skills into financial industry, etc. There are numerous things you can do. Even though you are extraordinary in quantitative skills and knowledge of financial trend, you must show something tangible work on your resume to prove it.

Thank you Lamer Chrystle.
Agreed that you must show something tangible work on your resume to prove it. Which certified courses can I take to show it on my resume while applying for internships?

Well, since you have 3 more years left, you have plenty time to develop your skills toward finance. I don't know how your college system works, but, if you can, take some Economics courses (micro, macro) and some Finance courses (corporate and maybe accounting?) to understand how world's economy and corporate form. With that background, you may work toward CFA or FRM (but its too early for you, I believe). And umm... extend your knowledge in SQL and MS Office, especially in Excel, VBA, and Access. Most of internship or part-time job at your level will deal with lots of Excel and DB works.

Back