• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to find my true passion within finance??

Hi Everyone,

I have taken a few finance classes in university, and seem to like them a lot. That said, I am not sure what area of finance I am specifically interested in. Honestly, I don't even understand fully the different kinds of jobs in finance & the skills that they involve.

What is the best way for me to learn about

a. Different kind of positions within finance (both in the sell side AND buy side)
b. What skills does each position require (macroeconomic understanding / pgrming / math etc etc)
c. What are the pay levels like in each of these positions

and

d. What are the exit opportunities for these positions, in case I join a job but dont like what I'm doing?

Thank You very much for your time.

frankly, i'm surprised that you applied to programs before figuring this out. this would seem like a prerequisite.

frankly, i'm surprised that you applied to programs before figuring this out. this would seem like a prerequisite.

well, one of my close friends had applied to virtually all the possible different roles in finance. His argument was that wherever he gets an offer is probably where he's best fitted for lol

Devdeep Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I'm ordering the book from Amazon. Meanwhile, I have the eFinancial careers magazine, which also includes articles describing different types of jobs within finace. Do you think that is a correct representation that I can use to develop my understanding of the industry?

Thanks for your time :)

Devdeep Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I'm ordering the book from Amazon. Meanwhile, I have the eFinancial careers magazine, which also includes articles describing different types of jobs within finace. Do you think that is a correct representation that I can use to develop my understanding of the industry?

Thanks for your time :)

Hi eager_to_learn... I haven't read the magazine myself yet... hence I do not think I am in a position to comment on that. I am sorry for not being of much help in this regard. But I am sure Alex Kuznetsov will teach you a lot... :)

Hi Devdeep,

I've just started reading the book, but from the first few pages, it seems that the book talks about technology positions within the financial services industry. I've applied to MFE programs looking for a front-office position (and I assume this is true for most ppl who apply for mfe pgrms), so I'm not really looking to be a software developer at a financial firm. What I'm looking for is something that will help me understand

a. Different kind of positions within finance (both in the sell side AND buy side)
b. What skills does each position require (macroeconomic understanding / pgrming / math etc etc)
d. What are the exit opportunities for these positions, in case I join a job but dont like what I'm doing?

Since you seem to have read the book, I just wanted to check if this book will cover these questions ? (The book is 500+ pages, so I just thought I'd check with you before diving into it full scale)

Thanks! :)

Hi Devdeep,

I've just started reading the book, but from the first few pages, it seems that the book talks about technology positions within the financial services industry. I've applied to MFE programs looking for a front-office position (and I assume this is true for most ppl who apply for mfe pgrms), so I'm not really looking to be a software developer at a financial firm. What I'm looking for is something that will help me understand

Since you seem to have read the book, I just wanted to check if this book will cover these questions ? (The book is 500+ pages, so I just thought I'd check with you before diving into it full scale)

Thanks! :)

the book exactly explains what you want to know, at lest for points a and b.
for c you can use glassdoor.
for d I'm not sure, but you can do a search within Quantnet

Back