• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How to Leverage Work Experience to go back to School

Hey all.

I am currently a 22 year old College Senior majoring in Mathematics at a Low ranked institution in the Southeastern US- I am graduating in December with my B.A. in Mathematics and a minor in Music wooo!

I currently work a Summer Job as a Teller at a Bank Branch for a Medium sized regional bank in the Southeastern US (about $17 billion USD in assets). While I do not want to jinx anything, I had a meeting with someone higher up in the Bank about a full time career after I graduate. Suffice to say, I will potentially be getting an internship doing some financial modeling work (I believe) that will be turning into a full time role after I graduate with my Bachelors degree. I am very light on specifics as the person I talk to doesn't work directly in that area, but he is very interested in bringing me on to that role. Along with this, the bank will also pay for me to study for the CFA, so I will likely acquire the designation during my time there.

With all that being said, I would very much like to go back to school at some point in my life, most likely doing some form of Financial Mathematics, and I would love to eventually get a PhD and do research as I am fascinated by the topic. Since I am not working as a Quant, I would like to be able to use this to further my education, or move up to bigger roles at bigger banks.

What can I do to leverage this, what should I aim to learn on the job, and how can I become a more well-rounded financial professional during my time in this experience.

Thank you all so much for your help, any advice is appreciated, and if this has already been asked- please link me to that thread. You all are the best!

Back