• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

How useful GRE Maths Subject test...!

Hi Everyone,

Currently I'm preparing for GRE general test and I wanted to take GRE Maths test as well.
So can any one let me know how important it is and the chances of getting into good university are..?
Is it really necessary to take this test or general GRE test would be fine enough..?

Cheers,
Naresh

Nope, GRE Subject Math is not really necessary for admission to any MFE program, as far as I know. But, it could definitely improve your chance for acceptance if you could get a high score on it. It shows your quantitative zeal.

Less MFE applicants take the GRE Math subject test than few years ago.
The usual reasons MFE applicants take it are
  • They did not major in the traditional quantitative subjects like math/CS/physics
  • They did not have great grades in math courses or less than perfect GRE Q/GPA
  • They are really good in math and want to stand out
If neither of those applies to you, weight the pros and cons of taking such a test. If you are not certain you can score very high on the test (at least 75th percentile), then it's not worth it. On the other hand, if you can score 90th percentile and up, people can overlook some blemishes on your profile.

Thanks for your Response,
1. I'm basically from Maths Background and I have done my engineering in Electrical and Electronics.
2. All Maths grades are very good but my GPA is 3.21/4 only.

So now what do you think that Gre maths required to apply for MFE program...?

Naresh

yeah currently I'm working as a programmer only, and I know C++ already but haven't done any certifications.
but I have good knowledge in C++ OOPS concepts.
hey Andy, since you have seen many profiles who were applied to MFE program, can you help me to get an idea on my profile whether it'll be easy or difficult to get into good university..?

Here are my details.

GPA: 3.21 on 4 scale
Experience: 4 years as a financial application developer.
Technical: basically from Maths background and good knowledge in C++ and all Database programming

Please help me...!

Naresh

Hi Naresh Abburi,

Could you please elaborate more of your profile in these aspects :

1. Background --- > Which degree, college etc
2. Proficiency in math : Courses taken , grades etc
3. Computer Science : Programming languages known, details of work exp etc
4. Finance Knowledge

In a nutshell every MFE Program would look at these, and if you give more details, it will easier for people to evaluate your profile.

thanks
Babinu

1. Background --> Electrical and Electronics Engineering from a local college in India not highly reputaed institue with GPA 3.21
2. Maths proficiency --> In my graduation and undergraduation as well I'm from Maths background only that too I have done all the required concepts like Calculu, algebra, probability, trigonometry and other important courses as well with grades 95%.
3. Programming languages known: C#, C++, UNIx, SQl and Oracle DB developments
4. Finance Knowledge: Currently being in Finance domain, I have good knowledge in all finance related terms and market conditions.

So please consider these details and let me know.

Naresh

I would not suggest GRE subject test in Math. Unless you have an undergrad in math. Lot of people fool themselves into thinking they can do math. I am not being facetious here.

Yet most are engineers doing engineering math. You say you are from a maths background yet say you did engineering and electrical engineering. So what are you and you should ask yourself seriously? Maths background means having done measure theory and heavy proof based courses in your undergrad even for physicists this means a different thing.

By that I mean taking courses in which the emphasis was on writing proofs. Did you study PDEs from an applied science perspective or study PDEs rigorously proving results, existence etc. Did you study things like residue calculus, manifolds, differential geometry, topology banach spaces?

The GRE subject test will test your knowledge on all of this and things like topology, complex analysis, abstract algebra, set theory, basic cardinality, number theory along with Linear algebra, calculus and differential equations. It is weighted with more calculus but they do ask questions on other obscure topics as well.

So ask yourself how comfortable are you with these concepts. Looking at your background your time would be better spent on doing a better application. Unless of course you have the energy to study all the topics above and do the test with confidence and get above 75%.

There is the issue of authencity of GRE scores as well. So this is a factor in applying. If you want to prove math skills do a prep course at a US school that would be better for you. But there is no harm in doing the subject test. Why not try the subject test in computer science - perhaps more suitable for you. Just my 2 cents here.

Okay, now I really understood what is meant by Math background.
I really can't spend that much time to do all those courses because I have my own job to do , but as I said already I knew the basics of the most of the above mentioed topics
But I wanted to apply for Financial Engineering but not purely Computational Maths so what will you suggest for me as per my profile.

Naresh

The GRE math subject test might help you to stand apart from many other applicants who have full mark in General GRE and have good grades in math. Your computer science looks fine , if you clearly state your projects done and demonstrate your programming aptitude in the MFE interviews , you might make it through. As far as finance is concerned , you can either take CFA Level 1 (which takes a lot of effort) , or go through the book http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Quantitative-Professionals-McGraw-Hill-Investment/dp/0071468293 . You can start reading this as well, http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Mathematics-Financial-Engineering/dp/0979757606 so that you are aware of basic black scholes etc.

Okay, now I really understood what is meant by Math background.
I really can't spend that much time to do all those courses because I have my own job to do , but as I said already I knew the basics of the most of the above mentioed topics
But I wanted to apply for Financial Engineering but not purely Computational Maths so what will you suggest for me as per my profile.

Naresh

knowing the basics is not the same as having a background. many people know calculus or linear algebra. Only you can decide how much you know and whether it is enough to take the test. A parable comes to mind. The story goes as this, 'a young engineer claims to be a theoretical physicist. So as a result gets invited to give a talk on theoretical physics by the high priests of theoretical physics!

While an engineer may know physics that is not the same as claiming to be a theoretical physicist. Yes it sounds cool to say one is a theoretical physicist and many people claim this, but in reality they are not. But the only way to judge is to prove it.'

I think you seem confident enough to take the GRE math subject test. So you should take it. That is the only way you will know if you have covered the background. And then choose whether you want to submit the scores or not. Moreover, CS subject test is another possibility in which you might excel. You have many options. Why not take both tests.

Less MFE applicants take the GRE Math subject test than few years ago.
The usual reasons MFE applicants take it are
  • They did not major in the traditional quantitative subjects like math/CS/physics
  • They did not have great grades in math courses or less than perfect GRE Q/GPA
  • They are really good in math and want to stand out
If neither of those applies to you, weight the pros and cons of taking such a test. If you are not certain you can score very high on the test (at least 75th percentile), then it's not worth it. On the other hand, if you can score 90th percentile and up, people can overlook some blemishes on your profile.

Hey Andy,

So I am currently considering if I shall take GRE Math sub on 10/24 and I wonder if you can give me some advice.

My background is:
1) an international student with Math and Econ double major in a top 20 US university
2) QN C++ Certificate (my only programming experience)
3) GPA 3.7/4.0
4) Good GRE score with a total >330
5) Econometric research and multiple finance internships

My reasons to take GRE Math sub are:
1) It might help me prepare interviews anyway
2) I have disadvantage in programming but I can't find any other effective way to improve programming skill (programming classes in my school have lots of prerequisites that I don't satisfy), so being strong in math might be able to let the admission office ignore my disadvantage in programming.

My concern is that the GRE Mah sub preparation process may take up too much time.

What do you think?

2) I have disadvantage in programming but I can't find any other effective way to improve programming skill (programming classes in my school have lots of prerequisites that I don't satisfy), so being strong in math might be able to let the admission office ignore my disadvantage in programming.

I don't think you have a disadvantage in this area.

Hey Andy,

So I am currently considering if I shall take GRE Math sub on 10/24 and I wonder if you can give me some advice.

My background is:
1) an international student with Math and Econ double major in a top 20 US university
2) QN C++ Certificate (my only programming experience)
3) GPA 3.7/4.0
4) Good GRE score with a total >330
5) Econometric research and multiple finance internships

My reasons to take GRE Math sub are:
1) It might help me prepare interviews anyway

My concern is that the GRE Mah sub preparation process may take up too much time.

What do you think?

Your profile is at least as good as mine (probably even better since you're at a top 20 university), and I managed to get into one of the top programs. I would not worry too much about the subject GRE.

Back